Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1951 Buick with Aftermarket Air: Ever Seen One?

1951 Buick with Aftermarket Air: Ever Seen One?

Has anyone ever run across an old straight eight Buick with FrigiKing or other aftermarket air? It stands to reason there would be one somewhere, because this underdash, add-on air conditioning started in Dallas Texas about 1949. I am interested more in the compressor mount and how they rigged it up; I have seen photos of the evaporators inside and they are very period-looking.

A/c

Quote Originally Posted by RandyR88 View Post
    Has anyone ever run across an old straight eight Buick with FrigiKing or other aftermarket air? It stands to reason there would be one somewhere, because this underdash, add-on air conditioning started in Dallas Texas about 1949. I am interested more in the compressor mount and how they rigged it up; I have seen photos of the evaporators inside and they are very period-looking.
    I am interested in this as well. Surely someone has done this. Help us out.

Ben

a/c

Randy, looks as if we are on our own.

Ben

Not completely; I have a pal with a machine shop who air conditioned his '53 Special. He converted the car to 12 Volts; otherwise he made a compressor bracket and an alternator bracket. Ta da! Cold air!

A/c

Quote Originally Posted by RandyR88 View Post
    Not completely; I have a pal with a machine shop who air conditioned his '53 Special. He converted the car to 12 Volts; otherwise he made a compressor bracket and an alternator bracket. Ta da! Cold air!
    We NEED to see the brackets!! Seriously, if you/he could post some pictures, coffee and doughnut are in order.

Ben

A/c

RandyR88, guess we will have to design our own. I have a couple ideas. May take awhile.

Ben

I bought a book last week:"Boy! That Air Feels Good!", a history of auto air conditioning. Amazingly, it all came out of Dallas-Ft. Worth area.
    Anyway, there was a photo of a 1950 Buick interior with an underdash unit installed. Nothing under the hood, though.
    I also bought a factory manual for a '53 Oldsmobile factory installation. Senior models of the Olds, Buick, an the Cadillac only.

I have not found anything more yet: my buddy sold his "53 before I could see it. He did make the dual-groove crank pulley and compressor bracket, though. I am trying to find the correct brake shoes now, so AC is on hold.

Another problem to consider is keeping your engine cool with all that additional heat created in front of your radiator.

here is Presten's set up for PS. I know this has been done multiple times. last one I looked at added a double groove sanden a/c comp and then ran a second belt off of double groove alternator?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC