- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: Engine number and Code for 68 350ci 4bbl motor

Engine number and Code for 68 350ci 4bbl motor

Hi All,

My 68 California GS has a 350ci 4bbl in it that is supposed to be PP coded. I cannot, however, find
    any numbers or codes in any of the locations where they're supposed to be. Only have the firing order on
    the intake manifold and 350 on the rear of the intake. Nothing on the cyl head on the drivers side engine
    bank looking through/above the exhaust manifold, and nothing on the front face of the left cyl head.

Any thoughts out there or knowledge??

Thanks
    Tonino

if the engine block was ever decked, that shaved off the 'PP' stampings which should be situated between the #1 and #3 spark plugs.

i have heard of people trying to recover the stampings by using a light acid wash ...
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Most overlook the marking because the area gets pretty dirty and or rusty. The stamping are on the block deck. The deck is the portion of the block that the cylinder head is bolted to. The deck is visible between the 1 and 3 spark plugs and also between the 5 and 7 spark plugs. The VIN numbers aren't stamped into the left cylinder head, they are stamped into the block. You must remove the power steering pump and bracket to to the area.

68 Buick GS350 engine codes

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    Most overlook the marking because the area gets pretty dirty and or rusty. The stamping are on the block deck. The deck is the portion of the block that the cylinder head is bolted to. The deck is visible between the 1 and 3 spark plugs and also between the 5 and 7 spark plugs. The VIN numbers aren't stamped into the left cylinder head, they are stamped into the block. You must remove the power steering pump and bracket to to the area.

Hi Larry, thanks for the reply. I thought perhaps the vin was behind the power steering pump - just havn't had the energy to move it.
    Re the codes, I cleaned off the block deck between cyls. 1-3 and 5-7 and despite my best cleaning efforts, I fail to see any numbers or
    letters engraved on the exposed deck. Thats not to say they're not in there, its possible that the years have eroded the areas such that
    the data is not readily visible. The car is running like a finely tuned swiss watch and for now, thats just fine. When I'm driving her, the
    numbers and codes never enter my mind - LOL.

Tonino

Quote Originally Posted by Tonino View Post
    Hi Larry, thanks for the reply. I thought perhaps the vin was behind the power steering pump - just havn't had the energy to move it.
    Re the codes, I cleaned off the block deck between cyls. 1-3 and 5-7 and despite my best cleaning efforts, I fail to see any numbers or
    letters engraved on the exposed deck. Thats not to say they're not in there, its possible that the years have eroded the areas such that
    the data is not readily visible. The car is running like a finely tuned swiss watch and for now, thats just fine. When I'm driving her, the
    numbers and codes never enter my mind - LOL.

Tonino

If the engine has been rebuilt, it is possible the machine shop decked the block taking the stampings with it.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Buick 350 I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    If the engine has been rebuilt, it is possible the machine shop decked the block taking the stampings with it.
    Good Point Larry. If the block was decked I'm assuming the areas that have the codes etc on them should appear "machined" to a degree. If
    so, mine are very much still "cast" in appearance. I'll have to remove the power steering pump one day (when the mood strikes) and look at
    the number etched on the face of the block.

Thanks again
    Tonino