Thread: Articles on Thermostats and Rad Caps

Articles on Thermostats and Rad Caps

This time of year many of us start fighting with heat in our cars. Assuming you have a clean cooling system, radiator and good air flow we should have the problem solved. However especially with modified vehicles sometimes we have a problem or would like more of a margin. Many turn to lower temperature thermostats and sometimes higher pressure caps.

Here are a couple of very good articles that may help you in your quest for knowledge:
    Thermostats: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...the-advantage/
    Rad Caps: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...-radiator-cap/

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

just as soon stick with my 7 lb cap and 50/50 anti aluminum oxidizing antifreeze in my truck with the AL intake and radiator. my buick has original radidator and cast irun intake, so i am thinking the least amt of pressure that thing has to hold the better. hopefully by the time i am driving it again i will have the HOT lite working. haha, or else Old Faithful will let me know about it! 1.3 bar. yuk! 1 bar is good enuf for me!

you can take an old pair of women's nylons, cut one leg off and put that down the inlet side of the radiator.

obviously, the open end of the nylon leg gets folded back over the rad inlet nipple and is held in place by the rad hose / clamp when you tighten that down.

this functions as a radiator fluid filter so that all those flakes of rust and grit that are so common in old engines don't clog the vanes of the radiator itself.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

holy crap negro! then i could just put my sacrificial anode for my aluminum radiator in my truck, in there too!!

took off my upper hose today and found this in there:

yep, springs don't last forever.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Springs are never needed in the upper radiator hose. Some think they are needed in the lower hose --- I never use them. If you think you need a spring in a radiator hose, be sure it does not touch any other metal in the cooling system like the radiator neck or thermostat neck. Electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metals will at minimum rust the spring, but can corrode the radiator and rust the engine block.