- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Is the Buick 8.2 Rear end as strong as they say it is?

Is the Buick 8.2 Rear end as strong as they say it is?

So here is my dilemma, I have a chevy 12 bolt that is open but im planning on putting a posi in it and eliminating the c clips. The guy I bought it from said it was out of a wagon. But now I have read some articles that say the buick 8.2 is strong enough to hold some serious hp. Im planning on 5 to 600 coming out of my 455. Should I stick with the 8.2 or would it be a good idea to build the chevy 12? My car is a 68 skylark custom. Will the 12 bolt fit or will I have to chop down the housing? Thanks

I have had a lot of fun with my 8.2 and they have a good reputation. I run 235 street radials with a posi. I do believe that it is the tires that you are running that determine the need for stronger power train components more than the horsepower you are putting out.

If the 12 bolt came from a Chevelle wagon or similar size it will probably be the correct width. If it came out of an larger size wagon, you will probably have to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZnoQOFkpelfzLl

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the info. I think im going to stick with the 8.2. I talked to the guys at ta performance today and he said the 8.2 should be fine for my application. I had no idea that buick had made such a good rear end. I geuss they needed it though for all those land yahts. Lol

The 68-70 Buick 8.2 10 bolt is a bolt in axle reasonably strong rear. The problem is parts are hard to come by and gears selection is limited. The 68-70 8.2 is not the same rear as the 64-67 8.2 BOP 10 bolt.

http://jdrace.com/diff_id/10bBOP_Buick.htm