Thread: Steering wheel shudder or vibration in 62 Skylark with power steering

Steering wheel shudder or vibration in 62 Skylark with power steering

I recently had leak in high pressure hose on power steering pump. (Both pump and steering gear were replaced with re-manufactured units approx 2 years ago. No problems with either until recent hose leak) After hose was replaced recently, I have noticed intermittent shudder or vibration in steering when making turns, mostly to right but sometimes to left also. Have checked fluid level. Also tried expelling possible air by raising front end and turning steering wheel from lock to lock about 20 times. I'm not sure how fluid was flushed or vacuumed when new hose was installed by mechanic. However, on visual inspection fluid looks clean. Shudder or vibration in steering wheel is not violent, just subtle and dissipates in few seconds or after turn is completed. Never noticeable at cruising speeds, just at slow speeds when making moderate to sharp turns. I know it is not a wheel balance related issue.

Any ideas of possible causes and recommended solutions would be appreciated. Have not had car back to mechanic yet but did speak with him and he says nothing related to changing hose could cause problem. I'm not sure I agree with that. Also, may or may not be important: replacement high pressure hose was not a standard part. The mechanic said he actually had to make up the hose.

Gene

Air was expelled from the system as soon as the car started & was further expelled when the steering wheel got turned in the sho & on the road by you. I agree that the hose was not likely cause the problem that your having as there's nothing special about a '62. My 1st. thought is a slightly loose P/Strg. belt.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Angry power steering shdder in steering wheel

Thanks for comment Tom. I will check tension in belt.

X2 on belt slip. I have seen rubber flaps in lines that have screw together fittings like stratoflex. Crimped fittings are less prone to assembly errors. IF you eliminate belt slip as cause, remove new line and insert an appropriate size drill bit into each end to check for restriction, then blow thru it with air nozzle. I have had flaps at the fittings and had to drill them out.