- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Th400 switch pitch. No 1-2 shift

Th400 switch pitch. No 1-2 shift

Tranny wont shift into second. Governor valve seems fine. Not stuck and flyeheels move valve. New modular comin tomorrow. Hope that fixes it. The night b4 it shifted fine. Today no shift. Replaced carb year ago and just got around to hookin up the stator switch. Could the stator valve be stuck??? Would that cause it not to shift? Any help would b most appreciated.

Are you sure you didn't hook up the stator switch to the kickdown switch or that the kickdown switch is not broken (stuck in the on position). I find a lot of problems are related to what has been done recently.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Just changed the modular valve. No change. Right now the kickdown switch is taken off and the stator switch is closed....no signal to solenoid. Fluid is full. Everyone has told me the governor valve but it moves freely. I dont know enough about trannys to know if a stuck stator valve could cause this, or if the kickdown switch controls the detent valve if its stuck if that would cause it not to shift.

Aso on the governor valve the plastic gear looks brand new. Crisp edges and no broken or worn teeth.

While driving manually shift from 1st to second at hard throttle.If it shifts,check the vacuum line from the trans to the intake port.
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Tried that earlier. No shift. I dont have a tac but i was hard throttle and up to 45mpg. No shift into second.

Try the diagnosis section at the back of the 1967 ST 400 section in Chassis Service Manual in our reference section. It is the same basic trans as yours.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

I have the 1965 manuel. Ive checked all i can with out tearing the tranny apart. Guess its time for a rebuild. Im thinking my 1-2 valve is stuck. Or the clutch pad is having problems. Thanks for all the suggestions! If anyone has any other ideas i appreciate it in advance. Ill post how it turns out. Thanks again!

Anybody know where to buy a total rebuild kit??? I sometime have trouble finding parts.

Two things, verify you have manifold vacuum at the modulator even if everything looks like it is hooked up. If the kickdown terminal on the transmission is seeing 12 volts constant, there will be no shift except at WOT, high RPM.