-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My New 263

Getting closer, fuel lines complete, gas tank at the powder coater, Supercharger Blow off valve installed, more exhaust tomorrow. Had to deal with the water temperature sender today. New gauge sender is 1/4 NPT, thread in the head for the original is 5/8-18". Decided to drill and tap the head at the same location for 1/4 NPT, looks like it should work, waiting on the sender to confirm.
    Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Getting closer but still not there, unfortunately, I've gotten busy at work and have little time in the shop, fortunately, I was able to get in the shop today and finish the exhaust. Need to re-run the pressure fuel line and fuel filter was in a bad spot after running the exhaust. Need to mock up a radiator, hoses and wire the starter, alternator, fuel pump, ignition switch to fire it up after adding all the fluids. Hopefully, in the next week or so, I will hear some noise.
    Pat

being busy at work is usually better than the alternative.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob, this is true. I was able to get in the shop today, finished all the wiring, filled all the fluids and turned the key but unfortunately bad news, my stainless fuel lines are all leaking at the connections. I'm thinking the stainless lines may not have been correct. I'm not sure if they are annealed but they seemed to flare fine. I'm thinking I am not getting enough crush in the fittings. Hopefully, I can do some research and figure this out, I may have to make new lines but that is just a little more time. I'll keep plugging away.
    Thanks
    Pat

on the plus side, it sounds like once you figure out what's wrong with all of the fittings you can fix them all.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Success!

Finally! Today was a successful day, was able to fire my engine for the first time. Had it running for about 15 minutes, made several adjustments to the fuel injection program, and was running better and better. I hope to get back on it tomorrow but glad it went smoothly today. Thanks all for the positive comments. More to follow. I've tried to upload a video of the engine running but no luck. If someone knows how to do that, please let me know and I will upload it.
    Thanks
    Pat

More adjustments today, all was going well until the ignition module decided to die. Have to get another this week. Have a small issue with the supercharger belts, they want to slip off the tensioner. It will work with one belt but not two, will have to re-engineer this, may have to move the tensioner, maybe make the tension grooved for the two belts or possibly change the lower crank pulley allowing for wider belts. May have to do all changes. I'm just happy to hear the motor run and not have any major issues. Will need a better battery, voltage drops below 10V at times when cranking and the fuel injection can't live with that. More to follow.
    Pat

Fantastic!
    What engine module are you using? What EFI ? I am using an original GM 7 pin, with distributor modified with HEI magnetic pu inside, controlled from the GM [ 1990 Chevy PU] ECM. So far so good.

I would be so thrilled to feel that engine driving when the Paxton kicks in.

Ben

Hi Ben,
    I'm using a Pertronix module in the stock distributor. The fuel injection system is made up of two Moon 97 style throttle bodies each with two Chevy fuel injectors from a small block (tuned port type, multi-port). The wiring and computer (Sportsman XFI) is from FAST and the programming is being handled by Imagine Injection out of Glendale, AZ. It is fully programmable via a laptop. I can't wait to see what it will drive like with the Paxton either, but that won't be for a long time, still have to build the body. The chassis is almost complete, need to run brake lines and add the electronic power steering as well as the clutch switch for the Columbia two speed. The wheels are being built currently and that will be the final touches for the chassis, hope to have that all complete by the beginning of next year. I'm looking forward to building the body, hopefully, that will be fun.
    Thanks
    Pat

OKAY!!
    Don't dawdle too long. I am getting old, you know, and I NEED to see it go.

Ben