Thread: HVAC Vacuum manifold

HVAC Vacuum manifold

Hi All,

I have a 68 California GS with AC. If anyone has a parts list for the 68 Skylark/GS cars, I'm looking for the part number
    and description of the small vacuum manifold that plugs into the vacuum valve on the rear AC/HTR/VENT/REC thumbwheel switch.

One of the two lines coming off of it to the vacuum motor of the main air entry door is not getting enough vacuum on any switch
    position. Suspect the problem is an obstruction in the manifold or damage. The hose is clear. The manifold is a small unit with 4
    vacuum lines connected to it. The switch itself and integral vac valve are NOS and recently installed.

Better yet, if someone has a NOS manifold sitting around doing nothing I'd like to buy it.

Thanks guys

Tonino

The problem is ANY switch you are talking about, NOS or other, is approaching 50yrs. old. What happens is the grease that holds the vacuum becomes old & dried out & cannot provide sealing any longer. What I have done in the past is to drill out the rivet that holds the unit together, clean it thoroughly with Brakleen or other non dissolving solvent, apply new grease & assemble with a small bolt & locking nut.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    The problem is ANY switch you are talking about, NOS or other, is approaching 50yrs. old. What happens is the grease that holds the vacuum becomes old & dried out & cannot provide sealing any longer. What I have done in the past is to drill out the rivet that holds the unit together, clean it thoroughly with Brakleen or other non dissolving solvent, apply new grease & assemble with a small bolt & locking nut.
    Wow - Never dreamed of anything like that. Thanks so much for the advice. What I see on the little manifold is black stuff that looks a little gooey.
    Is that the grease you're talking about? I'm hoping that maybe something got into the hose or there is some crud on the port tip - I haven't pulled it out yet.
    Wonder why they did a separate manifold as a plug in to the switch. Who knows!

Tonino

If you still have your old one practice on that. The grease acts as a sealing medium. I usually use Kendall Super Blue wheel bearing grease. It holds it's consistency for many years & contains NO Graphite so it can also be used on Model T electrics. I have been using it for MANY yrs. without problems.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    If you still have your old one practice on that. The grease acts as a sealing medium. I usually use Kendall Super Blue wheel bearing grease. It holds it's consistency for many years & contains NO Graphite so it can also be used on Model T electrics. I have been using it for MANY yrs. without problems.
    Thanks again. I'm still trying to locate a replacement. If I can find one, I'll follow your advice and work on the old one to see
    if I can salvage it. Meantime, the hunt goes on.

Thanks
    Tonino