Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Gladiator with Buick 350 in the California Cascade Mountains

Jeep Gladiator with Buick 350 in the California Cascade Mountains

Glad to find another site with info on my engine. Some may not know that Kaiser Jeep put the Buick 350 in it's full sized vehicles from '68 - '71 or '72. Mine was a '69 350 from a '69 Wagoneer as the '65 Gladiator truck came with an AMC 327 - mine had a knock and I replaced it with the Buick I had. Threw a rod on that one and found a low miles, little old lady engine out of a '69 Skylark and that one is getting a good going over and then being dropped into my Glad.

also, Jeep used Buick v6s. even earlier, Chevy used the Nailhead in some of their 50s trucks.

and weren't you guys using adapters to Chrysler transmissions?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

A timing chain set would be a good idea. Spin it over for a compression check on all 8 cylinders and check the main and rod bearings condition and wear. Those should tell you about the general health of the engine. Make sure the oil pump is in good condition and the gears and housing are in good condition with the proper clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    also, Jeep used Buick v6s. even earlier, Chevy used the Nailhead in some of their 50s trucks.

and weren't you guys using adapters to Chrysler transmissions?
    No. I have the original TH400. It is the universal TH400, that GM made, not the BPOC model. Kaiser had a propitiatory adapter for the Buick engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    A timing chain set would be a good idea. Spin it over for a compression check on all 8 cylinders and check the main and rod bearings condition and wear. Those should tell you about the general health of the engine. Make sure the oil pump is in good condition and the gears and housing are in good condition with the proper clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Timing chain, new gaskets and seal, plugs etc are all on my list. Another member sent me some good guidance on boosting the upper engine oiling for the engine and I've got some info on cooling that hot runner down as well. Thanks for the reminder.

That TH400 has a "NailHead" bellhousing bolt pattern to it. It should be kinda roundish. The early "Nail" trans. were also used in Rolls Royce's.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

That TH400 has a "NailHead" bellhousing bolt pattern to it.

yeah, that's what it was.

so, if for some reason you've got a Nailhead bell SP-400 and want to attach it too a Buick or Caddy .... look in a Jeep for the adapter.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

That TH400 has a "NailHead" bellhousing bolt pattern to it.

yeah, that's what it was.

so, if for some reason you've got a Nailhead bell SP-400 and want to attach it too a Buick or Caddy .... look in a Jeep for the adapter.
    Everyone is right on this subject - TH400 universal AKA Nailhead. I'll look around for an adapter plate . . . Oh! There's one right there on my truck! Actually, the Gladiator has a SBB 350 in it right now, it just has a big hole in it's side and kinda doesn't hold in the engine's lifeblood any more. Thus the need for a "new" engine, hopefully one that won't cost me an arm and a leg to get my rig back into operation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flingwing1969; 04-07-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add a photo

TH400 universal AKA Nailhead

eh, the Nailhead pattern is hardly universal. being as it doesn't bolt up to anything but a Nailhead.

although, this DOES suggest an amusing alternative for you; take the adapter plate off of the trans and get a 425 Nail. be aware, while a 425 would be a real torque monster, it's also about 300lbs heavier than a Buick 350. all Buick small blocks are shockingly light, especially for their deck height. a SBB 350 is about 100lbs lighter than a SBC 350.
    Vladimir Lenin

Smile

TH400 universal AKA Nailhead

eh, the Nailhead pattern is hardly universal. being as it doesn't bolt up to anything but a Nailhead.

although, this DOES suggest an amusing alternative for you; take the adapter plate off of the trans and get a 425 Nail. be aware, while a 425 would be a real torque monster, it's also about 300lbs heavier than a Buick 350. all Buick small blocks are shockingly light, especially for their deck height. a SBB 350 is about 100lbs lighter than a SBC 350.
    GM referred to it at "universal" because it was generic and so any auto company wanting to use it could make their own adapter for it, and depend on it being the same. Thus GM did not have to manufacture trannys for every car company that wanted to use the smooth and strong TH400. No, the tranny would bolt up directly to almost nothing, but adapters could be made knowing that they would fit the tranny side.

That is an interesting idea, great torque but wow, the weight - and probably costs a bit more to adapt than my drop-in, low miles, well cared for (I hope), Buick 350 for $300, I bet.
    Playing with only slightly less than a full deck in the California Cascades in the shadow of our favorite volcano.

My Toys (as my wife calls them)
    '64 Pacific Mariner Lance 14' Runabout with Merc 3 cyl 65hp engine
    '65 Jeep Gladiator J2600 Buick 350 and TH400/Dana20
    '73 Jeep J4800 Service Body AMC 360 and T-18A/Dana 20
    '75 Jeep CJ-5, Built, AMC 304 and T15A/Dana 20
    '12 Yamaha TW200 built for offroad cruising