- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: St300

St300

Hi I have a 67 Buick Special Deluxe with the 225 V6 and I'm rebuilding the ST300 in it for my automotive program I'm in in college and I cannot find anywhere how many quarts of ATF the transmission holds or will need for when it comes time to refill it when I'm done rebuilding it and what type, if there is a specific type, of fluid it takes. Please do not do what the BCA has done and tell me to find a manual for it, I have one but it does not list the amount of fluid required, I need an actual number from someone and I know someone on here has had to rebuild one of these transmissions before.

Thanks for your time, pic is of my Buick,
    Erica
    Attached Images Attached Images

St300

Back in 1967 I did a 55 Ford trans. When it was ready to put back in the car I just filled the torque converter and added to the (full cold) mark. Put it back in, started it up and checked the fill stick (after letting it idle for a while then shifting through the shift selections) to see what it needed from there. I don't know if that will work for you or not. That converter holds quite a lot, I know that. Back then I think GM used Dexron ll or something like that. 9 to 12 quarts with most in the converter most likely. That guess is based on the newer 200 and 325 transmissions.
    Last edited by Utah Blaine; 03-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    1979 TRegal

According to the '67 manual, Type "A". Dry transmission, a 19 pints and adjust level after starting.
    Pages 2-3 http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/74-a.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Please do not do what the BCA has done and tell me to find a manual for it

how about if we give you a manual for it?

for free?

that actually has all of this information? will you let us do that?

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/67_chassis/

the ST-300 sub-section is here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/74-a.php

the chassis manual asserts 19 pints of Type 'A' automatic trans fluid of at least the "AQ-ATF" spec. this is on pages 74-3 and 74-4.

also be sure to look up the Low Band adjustment, that should be checked every 24k miles which is pretty often compared to modern trans.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

bob ninja'd by Bob.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I usually put in 1-2 qts. (4 pints) into the converter then install onto trans. Install trans. & put in 4 more qts. (8 pints). Now start the car & add 1-2 more qts. (4 pints) while the engine is running through the dipstick tube. Run it through the gears with the wheels off the floor of course. And, of course, before putting back into park make sure the wheels are STOPPED. Then check the fluid with the engine running in park. Bring up to the cold level, more than likely 2 pints. At this point you have added a total of 18 pints. Now road test & do final checks for leaks, proper operation, etc. Now check fluid level & add to bring to full level on dipstick.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"