- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 263 rebuild

Looks great! Glad to hear it's running with no issues
    Pat

Yes ..👍,nice to hear that and it looks C👀l...
    How much Oilpressure do you have ? ...and you drive a fullfloat Oilfilter ? ...if i remember right , no ? ... or is yours on the pic a 262 (?) Chevy truck canister ?

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

My 38 / 53 Buick. Engine swap to a 1953 263ci

I have a 1938 3846 business mans coupe. I had oil pressure problems (my choice) so I had a 1953 263ci engine given to me. I blueprinted the engine with .030 overbore, reground crank, reground cam for hydraulic lifters, SS seats for the valves to run the crap gas sold today as 'regular'. I installed a 1948 oil filter assembly. It runs very strong now. In Florida in the hot summers, the oil pressure goes down to about 7# at idle. I swapped the original 248 radiator for a 60 series 320 radiator. That moves me from a 2 core radiator to a 3 core radiator. That solved my worm temps while waiting at long traffic lights. The 263 engine requires moment of the radiator forward about 1.5" to clear the different water pump. Lots of things learned in the swap. E-Mail me at oldbuickjim@gmail.com if you are considering the swap to the 263. I bought a drivers car not a show car. We call it a 5 footer. Closer than 5 feet and small imperfections begin to show. :-)))) I also installed a Borg Warner over drive. What a saver. I live in a very busy city. You must be able to run 60 mph in multi lane traffic or get run over . The overdrive (using the original 4.44 rear end) lets me cruise 60 to 65 and turn only 2300 rpm. My only other necessity for the car was Air Conditioning. In Florida, you can not survive 94* weather and high humidity with out A/C. Just had it finished this week. Found a warm air leak that I need to fix. Other than that, I am in Buick heaven. I get lots of eyeballs when driving. People really find the only cars interesting and want to know about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenz38 View Post
    Yes ..👍,nice to hear that and it looks C👀l...
    How much Oilpressure do you have ? ...and you drive a fullfloat Oilfilter ? ...if i remember right , no ? ... or is yours on the pic a 262 (?) Chevy truck canister ?
    thanks Jens. OEM oil filter running baldwin element. I have just under 10psi when HOT at idle and 40psi down the road. I am not worried about that. I pulled the rocker cover and oil still flows good down the push tubes.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Ok, i had pimped my pump carefully
    a little and have modified my block for a full float system with a PH 8 A spin on Filter .., have same pressure like yours 😉 whatta Oil you drive ? I use a 10 W 40 part synthetic know after hop up the engine.

Jenz

Quote Originally Posted by Jenz38 View Post
    Ok, i had pimped my pump carefully
    a little and have modified my block for a full float system with a PH 8 A spin on Filter .., have same pressure like yours 😉 whatta Oil you drive ? I use a 10 W 40 part synthetic know after hop up the engine.
    I am running 10w-30 or 20w-50 valvoline VR-1 because of the high zinc. I have info from KB on the full flow filtering system. I plan on doing this sometime.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Yes ..., I will try a high quality 20 W 50 at next also , my engine runs for me a little bit too loud/rough at 180° Oiltemperature on the road in the constant 3000 revs.

Jenz

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    I am running 10w-30 or 20w-50 valvoline VR-1 because of the high zinc. I have info from KB on the full flow filtering system. I plan on doing this sometime.
    I run 10w-30 in my 248 and will do so in the 263 that is ALMOST done. I have made the mods for the full-flow oil filter.
    So glad to hear yours is running good. Always, for me, a worry when an engine is rebuilt.

Ben

1940 Buick Owners Manual on Oil Presure

The 1940 Owners Manual on page 14 states:With hot oil and a road speed of about 15 miles per hour, if any pressure is indicated by the gage, it can be assumed the oil pump is functioning properly. With cold oil the gage will show pressure at lower speeds. A by-pass valve in the pump body limits the pressure to approximately 40-45 lbs.
    I guess "gage" was the official spelling in 1940.

I would not be comfortable driving around with such a low pressure. The engine in my 40 Super is from a 1948 Super of unknown mileage. The engine was installed before I got the car in 1969. I don't recall the pressure ever being that bad, it always showed pressure. About 15 years ago I unbolted everything off the engine and scraped out all the gunk. I cleaned the oil pump and screen and stretched the relief spring in the pump. While it was down I checked clearance on the rod bearings with plastigage and pulled shims where necessary. I had the radiator cleaned. It was full of calcium deposits and needed rodded out but the core was perfect after cleaning.
    Since that work I run 45 psi. oil pressure running and it does not drop below 15 at idle when hot. I run the original 160 degree thermostat and it runs usually between 160 and 180. I run 20W50 Oil, the last 2 or 3 changes has been Brad Penn for high zinc content.

👍....sounds good..😉

Jenz