263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 263 rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post

holysmokes. just figured up how much this will cost. made a couplespreadsheets with the different venders. looks like EGGE, CARS, BOBs,Rockauto are my choices. researched what parts from where was going to be best aftershipping. I’ve ordered from all theseguys before and never been let down. I’mdown to just EGGE and CARS for availability and price. Over $700 to just ring,bearing, and timing chain. Man, I mustlove the Straight Eight.
    No two jobs are just alike, but ours would be similar. I didn't replace my timing chain, but I did have the head resurfaced on both the block and manifold sides, and both manifolds resurfaced. I replaced only the valves that were no longer serviceable. I reused the lifters and cam bearings. But, engine parts (including pistons but not paint and decals) were $1055, and machine work was $868.

'51 Special

Just in progress of putting by 320 together again after the rebuild. Its crazy how much money I have put into it:

New parts(repop or nos): Bearings, pistons and rings, camchain, oil pump gears, rocker assembly(old shaft was in bad shape), valve springs, valve guides, gaskets, crankshaft(just 850 USD for that), rods, push rods

Machine work: Milled head and decked block, bored, regrind of crankshaft, valve job, regrind of camshaft(elgincams), milled exhaust manifold.

Improvements: -41 dual carb manifolds, full flow oil filter.

All engine parts including crankshaft, block and head was chemically stripped from rust and paint.

I have not calculated on it but I would guess its 5-6000 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by wacker View Post
    Just in progress of putting by 320 together again after the rebuild. Its crazy how much money I have put into it:

New parts(repop or nos): Bearings, pistons and rings, camchain, oil pump gears, rocker assembly(old shaft was in bad shape), valve springs, valve guides, gaskets, crankshaft(just 850 USD for that), rods, push rods

Machine work: Milled head and decked block, bored, regrind of crankshaft, valve job, regrind of camshaft(elgincams), milled exhaust manifold.

Improvements: -41 dual carb manifolds, full flow oil filter.

All engine parts including crankshaft, block and head was chemically stripped from rust and paint.

I have not calculated on it but I would guess its 5-6000 USD.
    Crazy man Crazy! how about some pix?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by '51 Special View Post
    Long-
    I completed rebuilding a 263 about a year ago. Started with a running, lightly smoking engine with good oil pressure and a frozen heat riser valve. I had not done a rebuild since 1964, and that was a Chevy stovebolt. Needless to say, I didn't do my own machine work.
    Key points: (1) Get a Buick Manual, or rely on the 1952 manual on this site; and (2) This is a heavy engine when assembled. Your assembly stand must be stout.
    Just for perspective, my outlays for the rebuild are attached.
    '51 Special
    Thanks for the pdf - that's a great reference. Going to tackle my 1949 320 soon.

Really interesting to see the difference in labor cost between countries.
    For example here in Sweden the standard cost for boring 8 cylinders would be close to 500 usd. Regrind of crankshaft 400 usd, Valve job around 500 usd.

I got some pics on http://public.fotki.com/elebrink/my-...ngine-rebuild/ but I need to upload more.

My out-of-pocket for machine work on rebuilding a 263 in North Dakota in 2013:
    -Boring block .0020 over, including soap scrub to preserve the cam bearings, total of $155 USD
    -Valve job (reused 6 exhaust and 3 intake valves) parts $236, labor $188, total of $424 USD
    -Regrind crank .0010 under: $124 USD
    But this is misleading. Other machine work included resurfacing the manifolds (total of $60 USD); removal of 2 broken studs and a broken bolt (total of $62 USD), misc. shop materials and labor (total of $99 USD), resurfacing the head on both the block side and manifold sides (total of $87 USD); and flipping the ring-gear on, and resurfacing, the flywheel (total of $58 USD) or a grand total of "extra," but typically needed, machine work: $366 USD
    '51 Special

Thanks for sharing your pics, Wacker ... :-)
    Nice pics also from the OSW ,we was there too in 13 .
    Sverige .., always relaxed (sometimes drunken ) people without antipathy against old thirsty US cars, .... like here ....
    The quality of your cars are always very high.
    we here said that the reason for it are the looong dark winters ..

Wacker, you live in my #1 vacation country ..

ähem...sorry..back to topic .
    Last edited by Jenz38; 03-11-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Question looking for a 263 ?

Happy St Pat's Day ! I just got on the site and saw your posting. I'm in a SW suburb of Chicago and have a spare 263 and Dyna trans. It ran when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. Contact me if you're interested.
    santafe62

Quote Originally Posted by santafe62 View Post
    Happy St Pat's Day ! I just got on the site and saw your posting. I'm in a SW suburb of Chicago and have a spare 263 and Dyna trans. It ran when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. Contact me if you're interested.
    santafe62
    PM sent. but I'm broke after these parts orders. lol.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

just a quick update Gents. still waiting on parts. I received my parts from CARS, but not EGGE. and I need the cam bearings from EGGE so I can get my block back from machine shop. they will be installing the cam bearings and I am doing everything else. in the meantime I did a quick rattle can job on my engine bay. then noticed my rebuilt left lever shock is leaking. looks like I'll be pulling that now as well. appears to be coming from bottom and not the shaft seals? I might pull it this weekend to investigate. might be pulling from my parts car?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC