Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member looking to do a swap.

New Member looking to do a swap.

Good afternoon,

I have owned a couple Buick Regals over the years. My first was an 82 which I fell in love with until it caught fire . Now I have an 86 Buick regal and am looking to do a swap. I am not sure what all I would need to do and I haven't had much luck finding information. I have a stock original 67 430 that runs and sounds great that I want to put in. The 86 was originally the V6 model that had a Chevy 400 swap in it. I have it running with the v6 right now but have never been satisfied with power not matching the look. Any suggestions or help with navigating the links would be greatly appreciated.

an 86 would be an obvious candidate for upgrade to the Turbo v6 from the same year.

Buick 350 would also be an easy swap. 1970 'SP' code engine was rated at 315hp Gross.

the 430 would be a very impressive choice. you'll need new frame pads, mounts and a new fan shroud at a minimum. probably ought to get a new radiator while your at it, just to keep up with that big motor.

if you've got a 200r4 in there, it should bolt up to the 430. it may not live long if you thrash on it though.

the 200 can handle a lot of power when properly built ( GM put them in Corvettes and behind the Turbo 6 ), but those were special heavy duty units from the factory.

help with navigating the links would be greatly appreciated.

click on the Reference button in the top tool bar. that should keep you occupied for a while.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I would have loved to go the turbo v6 route but the engine is from my 82 regal and the previous owner gutted the wiring harness and fuel lines to run a basic set up. Thanks for the help. I seen TA performance has some mounting pads for the swap. I was curious on headers or any mods to engine parts that would be beneficial. I'm not looking to make a 10 sec street car just a comfortable cruiser that has the go when I want it. I noticed a few 455 swaps. Is there a big difference in what needs to be done?

I would have loved to do the turbo v6 route but the previous owner gutted the wiring harness and fuel lines to run a basic engine. I have a running 67 Electra and was just going to go that route. I appreciate the tips. I figured those where going to be some of the obstacles I ran into. Will I have to change the water pump? I have seen a lot of 455 swaps but not to many 430's.

I noticed a few 455 swaps. Is there a big difference in what needs to be done?

Buick 455 ( 1970-76 ) / 430 + 400 ( 1967-69 ) are all the same externally.

your 430 will actually have higher compression than most of the OEM 455s and will easily out perform an unbuilt 75-76 455 with all the smog crap and low compression.

the only real 'problems' for the 430 are that it isn't nearly as common as the 455 so pistons are more expensive when it comes time for a rebuild and, of course, you're giving up 25 cubes.

I was curious on headers or any mods to engine parts that would be beneficial.

search on the oil system mods. those should be done the next time you freshen / rebuild the engine. i wouldn't bother tearing the engine down just for that so long as you have good pressure.

at a minimum, you ought to get a mid-70s 5/8" ID pickup, that's bolt on.

never use a Fram filter, always go with AC-Delco, Wix or Napa Gold.

why would you not put at least shorty headers on? headers are about the only thing you can do to a car that will improve BOTH fuel economy and power.

Will I have to change the water pump?

from what to what? yes, the Buick big blocks use a different water pump and timing cover than the small blocks.

but why would you replace the water pump on the 430 unless it's gone bad?

one thing to keep an eye on if the 430 has been sitting a while with water in it:
    the alum water pump can experience electrolysis to the cast iron block. this will eat out the inside of the housing.

this is also an issue for the small blocks and v6s.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

frostyvision69 has a 86 Regal. I have a 79 and was wanting to do an engine swap too (mine is a v6 turbo). Are the chassis the same? The shape of my trans pan seems to indicate a th350. Please let us know what you choose and how it goes.

Are the chassis the same?

GM redesignated the chassis from 'A' to 'G' in the middle of the model run but they should be pretty much the same with a 108" wheelbase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_R...2.80.931987.29
    Vladimir Lenin

I was reading back over this post and electrolysis jumped out at me. Bob, you said it is sometimes a problem on v6's. Would it eat away the water pump or the block where they come together? One other thing, I was looking through my 79 chassis manual at the different motors that came in the various models of that year and saw the 403 listed. I noticed that it seems to be a bored out 350. It appears to be an Olds engine but was offered in some Buick models. With the bigger bore and same stroke as the 350 it seems it would be a feisty little small block. Any thoughts on it?

the 403 IS an Oldsmobile engine, and bears no relation to the Buick designs. simply look at the location of the distributor.

theoretically, it should be a monster of a motor. and, it has featured in a few Hot Rod mag build ups.

the problem is that the 403 block is very flimsy, with windowed main webs. trying to push it beyond 500hp ( maybe less ) is very difficult. that's why the Olds guys don't bother much with it.

all of the Olds engines are very similar ( externally ) anyways, with the primary difference between 'small block' and 'big block' being deck height.

http://442.com/oldsfaq/ofeng.htm#ENG...0BB%20and%20SB

http://442.com/oldsfaq/ofe403.htm#E4...IDEngineDetail

another problem IF YOU ARE STARTING WITH AN OEM V6 CAR, is that pretty much everything on an Olds is bass-ackwards to a Buick ( starter, distro, oil pump, etc ). the car is going to be configured for 'Buick style' design which is pretty much the same for all v6s, sbbs and bbbs.

trying to swap in an Olds would present most of the same difficulties as trying to swap in a Buick Nailhead. except the Olds would be lighter than the Nail and the Olds frame pads / engine mounts, etc will be common as dirt.

we're not JUST being Buick douchebag fanboys when we recommend staying within the BBB / SBB / v6 family if that's what your car started as.

Would it eat away the water pump or the block where they come together?

what i found was the impeller was absolutely chock full of alum corrosion. this was probably aggravated by running straight water ( no anti-corrosives in the formulation ) because it was a circle track engine.

but checking the water pump is too easy not to do. if the engine has been sitting for a couple of years +, pull it.
    Vladimir Lenin

After reading the two articles I see what you mean! The first one was really discouraging! Will the 455 bbb fit in the 79 Regal? The rear end of the car is built to handle anything, I don't know about the front thou. Not only does it weigh 600 + lb's it takes up a lot of real estate. I think everyone is telling me to stay with what I have and be happy.