- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Engine swap - 1952 320 into a 1946 Super ??

Engine swap - 1952 320 into a 1946 Super ??

Hi folks,

I have a 1946 Super (USA factory Right hand drive).

Can I transplant the 320 inline 8, from a 1952 Buick complete with transmission into my 46 Super ?

I can sort something out with regard to the linkages on the transmission.

Will the 320 fit onto the same mounts ? or can it be made to fit by swapping brackets etc and NOT having to cut or shop the mounting positions on the car ?

Visually, how different is my stock 248 to the 52 320 ?

my stock 248 is 110HP and 206 lb/ft... the 1952 320 is
    ......................170HP and 280 lb/ft

No
    The 320ci is about 3" longer than the 248ci
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the link and info guys... however, the 46 Super is the medium wheel base, not the short wheel base... yes, it is not the long wheel base of the Road Master either but looking at my car, I feel that an engine 3 inches longer in front, can easily be accommodated by moving the radiator forward.

I wonder where the extra length is though...

If you mount a 320 into a 248 car, at the same mounting points, is the 320 longer to the front or to the back ? there is no extra space at the rear. There is in front.

the problem being, you asked if it would fit on the same mounts.

i'm not a Str-8 expert, but i don't think the 320 used the same mounts across it's entire production run ( 1936-52 ), much less did it share them with the smaller motors.

i'm sure we've covered this in a thread somewhere. two ways you can search for it:
    1 - scroll to the bottom of the page and use the pull down menu to change the thread display option from "Last 45 days" to "From the beginning"
    2 - use the search window at the upper right for the term "320 248 engine mount"

if you want to swap in something that's got a pretty good chance of fitting on the stock engine mounts, you'd put in a 263 ( 1950-53 ).

can you put a 320 in? i'm sure you can. the question is how much fabrication that will require.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The first problem you might run into is, I think 1946 engines mounted at the front, whereas the 1952 engines mounted in the middle. So your frame won't have the "towers" to drop the engine brackets from the '52 on top of. Although you could probably find somebody with a '52 parts car and have them removed and try and install them on your frame. Moving the radiator. radiator saddle and everything which attaches to it might be more of a hassle than just cutting the firewall and going that route because of hood alignment etc. Might also be worth looking into is whether you can put mount your 1946 Super body on a 1942 Century frame, which could have close to the right length for both your body AND the 320, especially since 1942 and 1946 aren't separated by any production. Not sure how different the Special and Super bodies are for those years in regards to width, but the Century used a Special body I think.
    Either way, you are looking to spend some dollars...end result would be cool though!
    Got a 56R or 76R parts car, '50-'53? PM me! I need some parts!