Thread: Hello from western ny.

Hello from western ny.

I am new to forms. This is the first one i have joined. I just bought a 1951 buick roadmaster to restore and have lots of questions. I thought this was the place to ask. I am new to the vintage car thing. Thanks in advace for everyones help.

'51

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DON View Post
    I am new to forms. This is the first one i have joined. I just bought a 1951 buick roadmaster to restore and have lots of questions. I thought this was the place to ask. I am new to the vintage car thing. Thanks in advace for everyones help.
    Welcome and ask away.

Ben

1951 roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    welcome and ask away.

Ben
    i recently purchased a 1951 buick raodmaster 4 door sedan. The owner before me took the manifolds off and spark plugs out of the motor and let it sit for 30 years in a barn. The motor was all rusted up inside. I have torn down the motor and got it back together. My first question is do you think i need to gether the dynaflow transmition looked at . I would rather not spend the money. The car only has 3,600 miles on it. What do you think.

1951 Dynaflow

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DON View Post
    i recently purchased a 1951 buick raodmaster 4 door sedan. The owner before me took the manifolds off and spark plugs out of the motor and let it sit for 30 years in a barn. The motor was all rusted up inside. I have torn down the motor and got it back together. My first question is do you think i need to gether the dynaflow transmition looked at . I would rather not spend the money. The car only has 3,600 miles on it. What do you think.
    I think I would really like seeing pictures of a 3600 mile car! WOW!

If the engine runs after cleaning it up, great. They are tough. If was me, I would try driving it. Either the tranny works or does not. I don't believe it would be damaged if it does not. If it is ok, you are ahead of the game. If it is bad, then pull it. Maybe the only bad things will be leaky seals from setting so long.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    i think i would really like seeing pictures of a 3600 mile car! Wow!

If the engine runs after cleaning it up, great. They are tough. If was me, i would try driving it. Either the tranny works or does not. I don't believe it would be damaged if it does not. If it is ok, you are ahead of the game. If it is bad, then pull it. Maybe the only bad things will be leaky seals from setting so long.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Ben
    thanks for the coments. I think i will just try it. Also i put pics on the album part of the form. I could not believe the mileage either. That was the main reason i bought the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If & when you do get it running most likely the trans. will leak. They marked their territory when new so 63yrs. later I'm sure it will do the same thing. If it does leak don't be in a rush to start taking it apart, as the more you drive it the more likely the seals will get lubed & slightly swell up. If it continues to leak after putting some miles in it, 500-1000, I would put in about a pint of brake fluid. Many times it's all it needs to help swell the seals. A trans. sealer CONTAINS brake fluid.
    Just my thoughts.
    I don't see why you wouldn't want to spend $$$$ on an original 3600 mile car.
    Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    If & when you do get it running most likely the trans. will leak. They marked their territory when new so 63yrs. later I'm sure it will do the same thing. If it does leak don't be in a rush to start taking it apart, as the more you drive it the more likely the seals will get lubed & slightly swell up. If it continues to leak after putting some miles in it, 500-1000, I would put in about a pint of brake fluid. Many times it's all it needs to help swell the seals. A trans. sealer CONTAINS brake fluid.
    Just my thoughts.
    I don't see why you wouldn't want to spend $$$$ on an original 3600 mile car.
    Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

Tom T.
    Thanks for the input . I have decided to take your advice and try it out. Hope it works. Thanks again.

nice . looks good. glad to see a fellow WNY'er
    It's not what they call you ,it's what you answer to

Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    nice . looks good. glad to see a fellow WNY'er

Do you have an luck getting vintage parts localy. If so where. Closest place I found in in NJ.

found few parts at napa tune up parts , king pins ,gaskets, hoses,belts, mechanical parts . not any old iron junk yards in wny that I know sure would like to hear of about one. most other parts had to search online for.
    It's not what they call you ,it's what you answer to