From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Knee Arm/Lever Action Shock Rebuilt

Knee Arm/Lever Action Shock Rebuilt

Hi everyone!

I'm back on here after my hiatus caused by being 4 hours from my car once again. It is now in my yard and ready for some action.

I'm looking at refilling my shocks with either jack oil with some bars leaks in it, or some motorcycle fork tube oil (Screaming Eagle, etc).

Has anyone ever replaced the seals? I have done some searches around the web and here and found limited information.

I'm debating just pulling the old fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid, or to do the seals while I have them emptied.

After towing the car 6 hours in the driving rain, it has essentially been pressure washed and now it's hard to tell if they have been leaking.

So, refill or rebuild and refill?

Thanks!

Anthony
    1952 Buick Special Deluxe
    1984 Porsche 944 w/ SBC 350 conversion

Have a look at this..not that easy by the look of things.
    http://www.roadmachine.fi/Buick/february2003.html

HOODS CC England

I did it for my '52 many years ago. It is good that there is someone who has done some documentation and shared it. As I remember, I just used a hacksaw to do a nice clean cut on the wishbone and as mentioned in that article, was care full about marking them for realignment. I seem to remember that it appeared that when built, the shafts were probably not splined, and the wishbones were short one spline. Then it appeared that the manufacturer probably forced the wishbone on the shaft cutting the splines. I remember the wishbones seemed to fit back on in only one position comfortably.

I disassembled several shock and came to the opinion that if they had not been run dry, they only seemed to require new seals. The seals were and off the shelf size and no problem. The biggest headache was the plate plug on the bottom of the shock. The plates cannot be replaced with freeze plugs, freeze plugs have too much bevel. You must either reused the ones your remove or make a replacement. I used silicone gasket maker to aid in the seal and the plug is held in by a setting with a punch.

Another interesting point was that I happened to disassemble shocks from at least two cars, probably heavier and lighter, because the valve rates were different.

If you can, find an extra and do a disassembly on it first to get a feel for the project. It is definitely doable.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the responses! I will have to dig in a little deeper after the upcoming holiday(s) and see what I have for fluid in them. I would be up for just doing the seals if possible...so I will have to scare up the part number for those someplace.
    1952 Buick Special Deluxe
    1984 Porsche 944 w/ SBC 350 conversion

shock repair

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I did it for my '52 many years ago. It is good that there is someone who has done some documentation and shared it. As I remember, I just used a hacksaw to do a nice clean cut on the wishbone and as mentioned in that article, was care full about marking them for realignment. I seem to remember that it appeared that when built, the shafts were probably not splined, and the wishbones were short one spline. Then it appeared that the manufacturer probably forced the wishbone on the shaft cutting the splines. I remember the wishbones seemed to fit back on in only one position comfortably.

I disassembled several shock and came to the opinion that if they had not been run dry, they only seemed to require new seals. The seals were and off the shelf size and no problem. The biggest headache was the plate plug on the bottom of the shock. The plates cannot be replaced with freeze plugs, freeze plugs have too much bevel. You must either reused the ones your remove or make a replacement. I used silicone gasket maker to aid in the seal and the plug is held in by a setting with a punch.

Another interesting point was that I happened to disassemble shocks from at least two cars, probably heavier and lighter, because the valve rates were different.

If you can, find an extra and do a disassembly on it first to get a feel for the project. It is definitely doable.
    How and were did you find the seals?

Member Guest
    The seals were common "off the shelf" seals from a bearing supplier, you should be able to get them from any parts store.

seals

Quote Originally Posted by Member View Post
    The seals were common "off the shelf" seals from a bearing supplier, you should be able to get them from any parts store.
    Most places,if you do not have a part no will not help you . did you have a brand and seal no ????

Once you get the shock apart, you will be able to measure the shaft and the bore it fits into, and the width of the seal. That information will satisfy parts suppliers. You will probably be able to clean the old seal and find numbers on it.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks for the link. I replaced mine with remans about 5 years ago. now the left side is leaking. I do have a parts car. I pulled the left one off and it is also leaking on the shaft seal. I am going to pull this one apart and try to service the seal.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Don't forget about the shaft sealing surface. If it's in ANY way pitted/rusted/distorted a new seal will only last a short time. Measure the O.D. of the shaft & see if a Readi-Ssleeve is available for that size. Now you'll have a better sealing surface than new as it's stainless.
    Again, just my thoughts.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts