- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Engine knock upon start-up

Engine knock upon start-up

Help my fellow Buick Brethern!!! Rebuilt engine with less then 5,000 miles engine knock on start-up has got progressively worst. use to only do it on cold start-up, but now does it intermittently on warm start-up now. Bearings? Rod-Knock? Dont want to spend another $3,000 on rebuild. can i have the oil-pan removed and have my mechanic replace bearings. whats the best case and worst case scenarios? 68 buick 430 motor.

best case? your oil pan got dented and one of the crank weights is hitting it.

you wouldn't think that would get worse over time though.

i've also heard of a torque convertor bolt hitting stuff.

use to only do it on cold start-up, but now does it intermittently

uh, yeah. you shoulda figured out what that problem was when you first started hearing it. it might be a pretty serious issue by now.

did you rebuild this yourself? if a shop did it, have you reported your problem to them?

if you built it yourself, do you know that the cam bearings MUST be installed with a properly clocked position, otherwise you'll starve the drivers side rockers.

how is your oil pressure? do you have a gauge or just an idiot light? are you sure the sensor is functioning properly? have you plumbed the block to read pressure from rear of the oil galley ( i prefer Henderson's solution )?

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/Oilmods.htm

i don't suspect a problem with your pump clearance because it's a cold issue. the pump clearance issue would get worse as the oil warmed up / thinned out. you should pack the pump with petro jelly and prime the oiling system before first firing though.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/oilpumpwear.htm

this would be a good time to look at upgrading to the 5/8" oil pickup and possibly looking at the block and timing cover mods:

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/oilflow.htm

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/OilingMods.htm

so far as troubleshooting goes, i would:
    1 - get a mechanics stethescope
    2 - hook a charger up to the car battery
    3 - put car in park
    4 - pull all spark plugs
    5 - have someone crank the engine over on the starter and use the stethescope to try and locate the knocking sound more exactly
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank-you for your reply. I reported it to machine shop but its out of warranty. I now know about the oil-mods after the fact. can i go thru the oil-pan and replace bearings to buy me some more time before i have to go full rebuild again? If so please explain the process for my winter project!!!

and you're certain the rod bearings aren't a problem here?

all those oil mods aren't actually essential for a normal street driven cruiser, but if you're doing a major rebuild it seems kind of pointless NOT to do them.

oh, also DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS. they're crap. use AC-Delco, Wix or Napa Gold or the like.

from the 67 chassis manual for the 430:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...chassis/60.php
    "1. Since any service condition which affects the crankshaft bearings may also affect the connecting rod bearings, it is advisable to inspect connecting rod bearings first."
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I would think if a bearing is hurt the corresponding journal is also hurt. You can't usually solve those sort of problems with just a bearing, and if the cause is not found, it is very likely to happen again.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Very common problem on the 350/400/430/455 engines with the oil filter on the timing case cover. As said DO NOT use Fram filters. You have an oil drain back problem/loss & the engine has to build oil pressure upon initial start-up. One way to gain some longevity is DO NOT try & start the engine immediately. Don't set the choke by pumping the gas pedal. Let it crank until the oil light goes out & while still cranking then pump the pedal. Doing this will only help the longevity issue. The problem is already there & MUST be repaired. Bearings have TOO much clearance & are more than likely already worn to copper.
    Just my thoughts on the subject.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts