Thread: 65 Rivi blows cold but not ice cold

65 Rivi blows cold but not ice cold

I bought the car converted to 134A (wish it was still R12 but oh well) I had a 66 with fantastic COLD AC. My question is: is my 50 year old dryer tired? Is the very good but not excellent AC performance due to the 134A or a used up "dryer" or something else?

I removed the housing from the firewall the door works and seals correctly. The system is charged.

The dryer should have been replace when the system was upgraded, If it is still the original, you definitely want to replace it. There are a many reasons why the system may not be cold, but you should be able to get good results with the 134a. Consider taking it to a a/c tech to have the system checked, dryer replaced and recharged (there is a good chance the system just needs to be topped up)

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Very common when going from 12 to 134 is too much 134 is put in. Too much & pressures go crazy & cooling is NOT sufficient.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I doubt the 134 is the problem. I do not know the pressure/temp relation of either, but probably close to each other. Was the system flushed out? Probably not if the dryer was not changed.

Had a case where the temp at dash would not get below high 50s. Pressure, as measured at compressor, was spot on. Finally installed a pressure gauge at the evaporator outlet. The pressure there indicated a LARGE pressure drop between there and compressor. We replaced the hose from the evaporator to the compressor . Pressures were now the same and temps at dash dropped to low 49s.

Ben

Thanks for the replies. I now have a starting point.

Mike