Thread: 1961 Skylark V8

1961 Skylark V8

Hello to everyone,

I am new here and would be new to Buick ownership, but.....

I heard about this car via a “friend of a friend” of my wife, literally.

I went to look and it is a really nice looking item. This is a much more attractive style than I remembered, and the original color would still look nice. However...

It does look like it would be a unique driver / cruiser, maybe car shows with some work, but it is a bit more expensive than I can afford right now. It is a nice looking car, I really like the body style, and all of the original trim seems to be there, and in good condition. It would be fun for weekend trips, and even for the wife to drive.

The owner seems to want a bit too much, and is maybe still a bit too attached to the car. I am not that familiar with this model, so I do not really have a feel for what this thing may e worth. Also, I would rather see this get this into some responsible hands before some kid begins to ruin it. I did get some pics, but I did not have a chance to drive it. Owner says it drives well.

I would be very interested in what anyone thinks this is worth. What would be a reasonable price range?
    It looks like it is beginning to have some oil leaks, but appears to have been maintained recently. I would begin to replace the suspension bushings as time & $$ allowed, but this does not appear to be a critical need, they are just no doubt old.

I appears to be mostly all original with a few upgrades & mods. Here is what I know about it now.

P1110922A.jpgP1110913A.jpgP1110905A.jpg

1961 Buick Skylark
    2 Door Sport Coupe
    Buick S/N: 3H1557722

V8, Automatic Trans, shift on column

Engine, Trans & Suspension all look original.

Runs & drives well, not restored, will need maintenance & cosmetics

Dual Exhaust, looks original, but likely has mufflers & maybe pipe replaced. Looks like good work done.

Carb & Air cleaner replaced with Edelbrock items.

Power Steering

Looks like original paint, if that is possible. It is 2-Tone, white over some shade of a Purple.

All exterior trim on car & in very good to restorable conditions

It appears to have little to no rust visible, except some rust under Driver’s side Rocker, should be repaired.

Some dents, small & repairable

Driver’s Door needs adjustment

Wheels not original
    Tires good, but unknown how old, it has 225-45 x 17 on now.

Interior
    Not original seats
    Door panels look very good, with all door trim & dash knobs, etc in place as near as I could tell.
    Steering wheel cracked
    Dash has cracks

Sorry to run on so long, especially with my first post here, but I have really become interested in this car. I have had later 60s era muscle cars, but the wife won't ride in those & this looks like something more interesting now.

mt

Talking Sounds great

Dear MT,

sounds ds like a good opportunity and clean to work on slowly one item at a time while taking a drive from time to time.

a friend near Paris just got one. Parts are pretty much available. We only, at this time, had to get the water pump from a used motor, as there are no new original available nor any rebuilt ones for his with no air cond..

All the best for making your choice.

James
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mt road View Post
    Hello to everyone,

I am new here and would be new to Buick ownership, but.....

I heard about this car via a “friend of a friend” of my wife, literally.

I went to look and it is a really nice looking item. This is a much more attractive style than I remembered, and the original color would still look nice. However...

It does look like it would be a unique driver / cruiser, maybe car shows with some work, but it is a bit more expensive than I can afford right now. It is a nice looking car, I really like the body style, and all of the original trim seems to be there, and in good condition. It would be fun for weekend trips, and even for the wife to drive.

The owner seems to want a bit too much, and is maybe still a bit too attached to the car. I am not that familiar with this model, so I do not really have a feel for what this thing may e worth. Also, I would rather see this get this into some responsible hands before some kid begins to ruin it. I did get some pics, but I did not have a chance to drive it. Owner says it drives well.

I would be very interested in what anyone thinks this is worth. What would be a reasonable price range?
    It looks like it is beginning to have some oil leaks, but appears to have been maintained recently. I would begin to replace the suspension bushings as time & $$ allowed, but this does not appear to be a critical need, they are just no doubt old.

I appears to be mostly all original with a few upgrades & mods. Here is what I know about it now.

P1110922A.jpgP1110913A.jpgP1110905A.jpg

1961 Buick Skylark
    2 Door Sport Coupe
    Buick S/N: 3H1557722

V8, Automatic Trans, shift on column

Engine, Trans & Suspension all look original.

Runs & drives well, not restored, will need maintenance & cosmetics

Dual Exhaust, looks original, but likely has mufflers & maybe pipe replaced. Looks like good work done.

Carb & Air cleaner replaced with Edelbrock items.

Power Steering

Looks like original paint, if that is possible. It is 2-Tone, white over some shade of a Purple.

All exterior trim on car & in very good to restorable conditions

It appears to have little to no rust visible, except some rust under Driver’s side Rocker, should be repaired.

Some dents, small & repairable

Driver’s Door needs adjustment

Wheels not original
    Tires good, but unknown how old, it has 225-45 x 17 on now.

Interior
    Not original seats
    Door panels look very good, with all door trim & dash knobs, etc in place as near as I could tell.
    Steering wheel cracked
    Dash has cracks

Sorry to run on so long, especially with my first post here, but I have really become interested in this car. I have had later 60s era muscle cars, but the wife won't ride in those & this looks like something more interesting now.

mt