Thread: 93 Regal

Lightbulb 93 Regal

I have a 93 Regal with only 44,000 miles. Car is in great condition, runs great, but sqeaks badly going over bumps. The noise can be made by pushing down on the trunk. I thought the rear shocks were bad, but am reading that it has struts. Any ideas? Is it possible that lubrication somewhere could solve the problem? The car has spent a lot of time in the garage.

a strut is just a shock with an integrated spring pocket. in point of fact, it's the springs and tires that absorb road bumps. what we in the States call "shocks" are referred to overseas as "dampers".

the most serious indication of shock / strut failure is that after you go over a bump the car will keep bouncing.

Is it possible that lubrication somewhere could solve the problem?

it all depends on what is squeaking and why. you may need to tighten a nut or bolt. you may need to grease something.

i would have someone else bounce the back of the car while you get in the trunk or underneath and try to isolate the noise. this may take some time, as it could be almost anything from a suspension part to the rear seat to loose jack parts in the spare wheel well.

if you know a shadetree mechanic, see if he has an automotive stethoscope you can borrow.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

time in the garage isn't as important as conditions driven in. if this car has seen a lot of snow, the entire underbody of the car is probably covered in rust due to road salt. really nasty to work on.

a southern car, especially from dry areas out west, may not have any rust on the underside at all. just some road grime.
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 09-22-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by dlsinger View Post
    I have a 93 Regal with only 44,000 miles. Car is in great condition, runs great, but sqeaks badly going over bumps. The noise can be made by pushing down on the trunk. I thought the rear shocks were bad, but am reading that it has struts. Any ideas? Is it possible that lubrication somewhere could solve the problem? The car has spent a lot of time in the garage.
    Thanks. Car has spent its whole life in S. Cal. So no snow or ice ever.