Thread: New to forum - 63 Skylark Convertible

New to forum - 63 Skylark Convertible

Hey everybody, glad to be here! I just bought a 1963 Buick Skylark Convertible, 215c.i. aluminum V8, 2 speed auto, color is Twilight Aqua Marine.

From what I'm told, this was the first production year of the aluminum block, is that true?

It needs a little work, new quarters, passenger door, new convertible top, etc., so if you have websites/buddies with those kinds of parts, would love to hear about them!

Excited to get this bad boy running and make it my summer ride, can't wait to enjoy driving it!

First model year for the 215 c.i. aluminum V8 was 1961.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/index.php
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

Welcome to the Forum! Buford is correct with 1961 being the first year for the aluminum V8. The 215 was used by Buick from '61-'63. In '64 they changed to the Buick 300. Your '63 is a fairly rare car since the 1963 body is a 1 year only design. It shares many suspension components and maybe even glass with the earlier 61-62 Specials and Skylarks, but the sheet metal is all different.

East Syracuse, NY? If so we are practically neighbors. I live out near Onondaga Hill now, but soon I am moving back towards the Auburn way. I have a '62 Special Wagon so we will probably cross paths eventually. Not too many of these cars left especially here in the Salt City. Best of luck with the car. I'm sure you will have a blast with it.
    Project car + budget = headache.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Quick question. Is there a special socket to get the spark ifs out. Since they're sunken into the heads, it's a really narrow fit. All of my sockets seem to be too think to get down on them.

Yes, East Syracuse, NY. I just bought the Buick from a guy in the city off of Teall Ave.

Thanks for everything!

Hi , I just bought one of those as well. Was a California car for its entire life, no rot at all, paint is faded, interior in tact, 109,000 miles, Was a prop car for a few movies one being the Joy Luck Club in 1993.

Have a few oil leaks to td too particularly the rear seal. If anyone has good reference please forward on

Thks

Rich

the old rope seals are prone to leaking.

you should be able to substitute a new style neoprene seal for the old ropes, that should help with the leaks quite a bit.

the 61-63 Buick 215 is exactly the same engine as the 1965-2004 Rover 3.5L ... except the Rover is, obviously, in metric. lots of parts interchange between the Buick and early Rovers.

one thing to keep an eye on is that as the Rover gets newer, they keep putting higher tech on it. 2000+ engines had EFI, serpentine belts, crank driven gerotor oil pumps, etc.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)