Thread: '62 Special Convertible Craiglist Ad - Seeking Value Advice

'62 Special Convertible Craiglist Ad - Seeking Value Advice

Guys, need your help again. Found a vehicle for a decent price on Craiglist and wanted to get your thoughts. Also, I'd probably get the car appraised prior to purchasing, any advice on nationwide appraisers? If all checks out I'd have it shipped to NJ.

Below is the link to the car. The guy claims the following:
    - Was a barn find 5 years ago from original owner. Engine was seized so he found another '62 aluminum V-8 engine and had it rebuilt and installed. Transmission was rebuilt.
    - Since then car has been repainted (original color was yellow with green interior) and all of the other things mentioned in the ad.
    - Says he has the restoration photos and that the only rust that existed was a small amount in the drivers back lower quarter panel. Repair was done with new sheet metal, etc.
    - Says he put $14,000 into the car.
    - Interior is fairly new although the seats don't appear to be of the period that were available when the car was originally sold.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4610094257.html

This is my first classic car purchase so I really need your help. Seems like a good buy for $9,000. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

- Mark

Mark, but the 61-63 Skylark's don't command big bucks (or a lot of attention) compared to the 64-72 models. By most accounts, the 215 engines were considered to be underpowered.

I don't doubt that he has that much money invested in the car.

If you really like the 61-63 body style and are planning on keeping the car, than go for it!

If you are looking at it more as an investment, and are just looking for an old Buick convertible, a newer model (64-72) would be easier for you resell in the future and would probably hold its value better. It will probably be a bit more expensive for a comparable car though.

For example, I have a friend who has a nice 67 convert he is getting ready to sell, but it is probably going to be low to mid teens.
    Last edited by cjp69; 08-26-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Martin View Post
    Seems like a good buy for $9,000. What do you think?
    Send your appraiser over to the craigslist car before it gets away. If it is anywhere near as good as it looks in the pics, that one will go pretty fast. At $22K, the ebay car isn't going any place any time soon. I expect it to be relisted at a lower price eventually.

Ray