263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 3 bolt to 4 bolt adaptor

3 bolt to 4 bolt adaptor

Hi,

Im planning on installing Carter WCD 4 bolts on my -41 dual 3 bolt intake manifold.
    Anyone know a good place to get an adaptor that works.

Found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-Power-Ad...-/231325535916
    but I want to keep the barrels separated from each other?

Thanks

Make it. Then it will be done right and you will be able to raise your head and say "I made it" rather than having to look down and say I bought it.

That guy doesn't put a lot of thought into his parts and they could be made much more functional. Are you limited by any thickness restraints, I notice his are 1" thick and 2 pieces stacked together, can they be any thicker if the barrels are separate like you want them to be.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    That guy doesn't put a lot of thought into his parts and they could be made much more functional. Are you limited by any thickness restraints, I notice his are 1" thick and 2 pieces stacked together, can they be any thicker if the barrels are separate like you want them to be.
    Seems like you are right on that point. I would gladly to them myself but Im a bit limited when it comes to the tools to make one that will look ok.
    I dont know exactly how much clearance I got since the block is out of the car. Maybe someone else with a -41 intake can tell how much distance there is between the air cleaner and the hood with the stock carbs.
    I got a -48 Roadmaster that will have the -41 intake and WCD carbs. The plan was to use the -41 air cleaner (and adapt to the WCD if needed).

I think it should be possible to do this with a single piece? The two outer bolts on the intake almost match up with the carb, and the carb holes can just be filed a bit. The middle one can use a sunken allen head? It should be possible to use a 1/2" piece?
    I would rather get this down to minimum and be able to install some kind of insulation piece in between to keep the heat of the carbs. Or maybe do the adapter in a Phenolic material?
    Last edited by wacker; 09-21-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Thinking about it more, maybe you can just drill a hole in this one for the 3rd bolt? https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...ARB-SPACER-12/
    Will that kind of material hold up for tightening a sunken bolt in it?

No, that phenolic material is not really meant to be used in that fashion, nor is it strong enough. You really need a metal(aluminum)spacer/adapter for what you are needing.

Which style carb base do you intend to use? The 2GC has 2 different styles, one is just a simple rectangular base and the other is shown in the link above. They both have the same bolt pattern, just one has a wider base footprint. I have been playing with some 3D modeling software and have already done some sample programs and machined a single bore that blend the two different bore sizes of the Stromberg and 2GC together. So if you wanted to elongate the two front bolt holes on your 2GC's to match the Stromberg, then this is close to being able to be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by wacker View Post
    ........()...I think it should be possible to do this with a single piece? The two outer bolts on the intake almost match up with the carb, and the carb holes can just be filed a bit. The middle one can use a sunken allen head? It should be possible to use a 1/2" piece?....()....
    I had done it exactly like this .... for that Time where i drove zenith 32 ndix carbs on my comp carb manifold.My was made from Aluminuim and 1/2" thick .

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jenz38 View Post
    I had done it exactly like this .... for that Time where i drove zenith 32 ndix carbs on my comp carb manifold.My was made from Aluminuim and 1/2" thick .
    Sounds like the plan then

Think for a Heat shield made of Bacelite or something like that, because of boiling Fuel in the Carbs ...my do that, while standing in a traffic jam, instead of the open Engine compartent at the Sides on my 38..

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----