- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: trans swap

trans swap

I am looking to find an auto trans to fit my 63 skylark 215V8. The trans looks similar to a power glide in size. I don't want to do alterations on the floor. I will need a good cooler ,and of course a floor shifter. D and D may have an adapter.Any info would be great.

check out the Land / Range Rovers.

they were using this engine / bell housing patterns up to 2004. look for 3.5L to 4.6L v8s.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

If you are willing to use an adapter, almost any GM trans is doable. My first choice would be a 200-4R because of its relatively small size and low weight.

If you don't want an adapter, look at the Land Rover transmissions. They are far better than the Dual Path or Roto-Hydramatic.

Ray

The problem you will run in to with the other GM transmissions is that the th-350, th-400, and th-200-4R are much bigger in size than the little dual-path is. There will be interference issues within the tiny transmission tunnel. I know nothing about the Rover transmissions, so I can't comment on them.
    Project car + budget = headache.

trans swap

You my friend were at I am now, Would like to swap out that 2 speed with something I can hit the freeway with.If you had any luck please let me know. Thanks

tranny swap

I contacted
    land/range rover,They said they had nothing and only deal with mid 90's,If some one could give me a tranny # I can do a web search,I really don't want to cut the floor.The car has no rust,so I would prefer to find a tranny to fit.At this point I have not rebuilt the motor,So doing a motor / tranny swap would be ok.I just need some help as to what would fit. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylark63 View Post
    I contacted
    land/range rover,They said they had nothing and only deal with mid 90's,If some one could give me a tranny # I can do a web search,I really don't want to cut the floor.The car has no rust,so I would prefer to find a tranny to fit.At this point I have not rebuilt the motor,So doing a motor / tranny swap would be ok.I just need some help as to what would fit. thanks
    Take a look at the 700r4 used behind V6's in various GM cars of the 80's specifically Camaros, Firebirds and Chevy S10s. The are significantly more compact than the V8 version. Probably still too large for the trans tunnel, but closer. The problem with the Rover trans is the attached transfer case at the tailshaft. Several European cars used this Gertrag automatic, including BMW, Jaguar and Volvo so you may be able to swap the bellhousing for a Land Rover onto a trans from one of those makes, but it also is unlikely to fit without modifying the tunnel.

transmission swap

The automatic trans behind a land/range rover is European, made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG. you are also looking at hard to find parts and IF you do you are looking at $$$$$ plus they have a history of overheating and burning up... If you are really curios about them look forZF 4HP22 and/or ZF 4HP24 transmission in wikipedia. somebody did a decent job there in documenting these transmissions.

Size wise (and $$ wise) the 200-R4 is a better option. It is almost exactly the same size as a turbo 350, the 700-R4 is the about size as a turbo 400. As for the floor shifter using a GM trans should open you up to a lot of choices.
    here is a good article: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature26.html

happy wrentching
    CJ

bob ties trans swap.

I'm going with a th200 and an adapter from D&D fab and mach. Lokar shifter on the floor.Trans is a chevy rebuilt. I am waiting for the tranny now.
    Last edited by bob tie; 04-14-2015 at 03:19 PM.