- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Buick gas pedal start problem

1957 Buick gas pedal start problem

I just bought 1957 Buick Century with only 42,000 miles on it. The car has been off the road since 1989. I'm trying to get it start but not too familiar with gas pedal start issues. Where should I start? Any helpful tips is appreciated.

Here is a wiring diagram for your car which shows the starting circuit quite clearly.
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...65_3WD-006.jpg

I would recommend beginning at either the accelerator switch or the starter relay, because they are both relatively easy to get at. However, I have no way of knowing how electrically literate (or challenged) you are until you speak up. Can you troubleshoot it from this, or is it beyond your depth? Don't be afraid to say so.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-29-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Ray-

Thanks for your reply. I did checked the starter and its new from previous owner. The battery is new. After i turned the key to on and step on the pedal I notice the voltage gauge is moving to the left but no start. I could hear the "click" from the regulator after I released the gas pedal. I just picked up a new battery terminals and ordered new regulator. Unless it could be something else or bad ground.
    Last edited by Century57; 07-29-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Ray-

Where is accelerator switch and starter relay located?

Please don't replace the regulator, or anything else, until you know for sure that it is bad. I am quite sure the click you are hearing is from the starter relay and NOT from the regulator. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write any more now, as I have to go out. I will be back later on today and will explain in further detail then.

Ray

Ray-

You're right. there is a loud click noise from the starter relay.

Ok, this is real progress. You now know that the accelerator switch (normally on the carb, but you might want to look to be sure), the neutral safety switch, and the connecting wiring are all good. If they weren't, you wouldn't hear the relay clicking.

Now to find out if the relay is bad or if the problem is downstream from the relay. Look on the diagram for relay terminal identification.
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...65_3WD-006.jpg

First, make sure the transmission is in neutral or park, because if the starter cranks the engine might start. Turn on the ignition, and use a short piece of wire to jump terminals 1 & 2 on the relay. Just touch the wire to the terminals. Don't attempt to fasten it to the screws. You should get a good spark when the wire makes contact, and hopefully the starter will crank. Does it?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-29-2014 at 05:19 PM.

New starter relay but engine won't turn over

Ray-

I installed a new starter relay but the engine won't crank. I could still hear the same clicking sound on the new relay.

Push button start?

Should I convert from gas pedal start to push button start? Maybe I'm giving up too soon on that weird accelerator start...

Quote Originally Posted by Century57 View Post
    Ray-
    I installed a new starter relay but the engine won't crank. I could still hear the same clicking sound on the new relay.
    That's because you didn't need a new starter relay. Did you perform the test I requested before you purchased a new relay? I requested that test so that you wouldn't have to buy a new relay if your problem was somewhere else, and apparently it is.

Your car is still fixable. Would you like to consider troubleshooting the problem? It means that you will have to continue doing tests like the one in my earlier post and posting the results of the test before you go out and buy some other part.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 08-01-2014 at 05:57 PM.