- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1957 Buick gas pedal start problem

Here is what the '57 chassis manual has on the starting system:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/10-e.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Ok, I conceded. Can you be specific with using wire on relay? You mean using the wire to see if there is spark?

I jumped the wire on 1 & 2 terminal on relay and there is spark but no crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Century57 View Post
    I jumped the wire on 1 & 2 terminal on relay and there is spark but no crank.
    Exactly. You just took the relay out of the circuit. Or, to put it another way, you simulated the relay contacts closing. The fact that the starter didn't crank tells you the relay is NOT at fault.

You now know that the problem is in the starter or the wire connecting it to the relay, or maybe the battery cable connection. I believe you said you already bought a new battery, so we can ignore the battery for the time being,

So, first things first. And the first thing is, DO NOT run out as soon as the stores open tomorrow and buy another starter. OK?

Can you get at the starter better from above or below the car? Well, whichever way is best, position yourself where you can see and reach the solenoid terminals. Once again, make sure the transmission is in park or neutral, because if the starter cranks the engine, it may start.

Now take a heavy screwdriver and use it to jump the large terminal with the battery cable to the small terminal with an "S" next to it. If you can't see the "S", the terminal may have a black wire connected to it. You don't want the "R" terminal which may have a yellow wire on it.

You will get a heavy spark and the starter may crank. Does it crank or not? If the starter doesn't crank, DO NOT buy another starter. Just post back here again and tell what happened.

Ray

Good morning,

I did what you instructed me to do. I use the screwdriver to make contact between the big cable and "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. It does spark but only hear click in the starter, no crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Century57 View Post
    It does spark but only hear click in the starter, no crank.
    Ok, we are getting closer to the end of the road here. Go back under again and use your screwdriver to jump across the two large terminals - the one with the battery cable and the one directly across from it which connects to the starter itself.

Either nothing will happen, or the starter will spin without cranking the engine. Which is it?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 08-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I’m at this exact stage. I jumped the starter relay, it sparked and I heard the solenoid tap. I took the screwdriver and did both tests. Starter spins and the other solenoid taps. Now what? Any help?