- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 1959 Buick Invicta Generator to Alternator Conversion

1959 Buick Invicta Generator to Alternator Conversion

I have a 59 Invicta that we have changed the generator to a 1 wire 105 amp alternator. The vehicle is equipped with the gas pedal push start. I understand that there is additional wiring that needs to take place in order for the vacuum switch on the carb to function correctly, well as the gage on the dash. Has anyone done this conversion or know of a wiring schematic that may be available. Thank You.

Ok, the following assumes that apart from the alternator, all of your wiring is completely stock and the gas pedal start was working before you installed the alt.

Follow the oil gauge line to where it is connected to the engine. Disconnect the line and remove the existing fitting. Take the fitting to your friendly local parts store and buy a tee fitting, a short nipple, and an oil pressure warning light switch, all with the same thread. Also get a wire terminal which fits the switch. Install the nipple and tee fitting on the engine, and then install the switch and the original gauge fitting on the tee. Reconnect the oil gauge line. Use teflon tape or pipe thread sealant on all the pipe threads (but not the gauge line nut) to insure against leaks. Connect a piece of wire to the switch that is long enough to reach the stock voltage regulator. 18 gauge will be fine for this.

Disconnect either battery cable. Remove all wires from the stock regulator. Connect your alternator output wire (or the stock GEN wire, if you are using it for that purpose) to the wire(s) which were formerly connected to the regulator BAT terminal. These would be the red and white wires if everything is stock. Use a small screw and nut to make the connection and tape it afterward so it can't short against anything.

Take the light green wire which was formerly connected to the regulator GEN terminal and connect it to the wire you ran to the oil pressure switch. Tape this joint. Tape the pink wire which was formerly connected to the regulator field terminal. If you have any unconnected wires left at this point, tape those too.

Reconnect the battery cable, and you should be done.

Here is a stock 59 Buick wiring diagram. All of my comments above assume that this is what you actually have on your car.
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...65_3WD-008.jpg

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Ok, the following assumes that apart from the alternator, all of your wiring is completely stock and the gas pedal start was working before you installed the alt.

Follow the oil gauge line to where it is connected to the engine. Disconnect the line and remove the existing fitting. Take the fitting to your friendly local parts store and buy a tee fitting, a short nipple, and an oil pressure warning light switch, all with the same thread. Also get a wire terminal which fits the switch. Install the nipple and tee fitting on the engine, and then install the switch and the original gauge fitting on the tee. Reconnect the oil gauge line. Use teflon tape or pipe thread sealant on all the pipe threads (but not the gauge line nut) to insure against leaks. Connect a piece of wire to the switch that is long enough to reach the stock voltage regulator. 18 gauge will be fine for this.

Disconnect either battery cable. Remove all wires from the stock regulator. Connect your alternator output wire (or the stock GEN wire, if you are using it for that purpose) to the wire(s) which were formerly connected to the regulator BAT terminal. These would be the red and white wires if everything is stock. Use a small screw and nut to make the connection and tape it afterward so it can't short against anything.

Take the light green wire which was formerly connected to the regulator GEN terminal and connect it to the wire you ran to the oil pressure switch. Tape this joint. Tape the pink wire which was formerly connected to the regulator field terminal. If you have any unconnected wires left at this point, tape those too.

Reconnect the battery cable, and you should be done.

Here is a stock 59 Buick wiring diagram. All of my comments above assume that this is what you actually have on your car.
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...65_3WD-008.jpg

Ray
    Ray, thank you ever so much. Solved the problem.

I'm glad to hear that this modification solved the problem for you. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Ray

same problem, different Buick

I have a 1951 Roadmaster, 6 volt generator,that needs a swap to alternator, one wire or the regular
    kind. Car also has gas pedal start that works well. Has anyone done this that would share their experience with me. Email is johnusaf@aol.com. my kids bought this car for me in December, 2010 from the seller that had the car listed in TeamBuick for sale pages. I show the car often in the North Houston area. car finally ready to turn a true 36,000 miles next month. has factory colors, sky grey over verde green Metallica, chrome completely done, General dual 90, 4 inch white walls, full new interior, and on, and on, including her own 12X20 garage (wife insisted car needed protection). I'll do a full spread on her after a few more shows. I'm a member of Kingwood Classic Cruisers, little over 100 members and probably 150+ great cars. I'm also an almost 5 year member of this great group. Thanks for being here.

Johnnie R.