Thread: finned brake drums

finned brake drums

Anyone, will the finned brake drums off a 1962 Buick Hearse fit a 1956 super?
    Super has 12" I am wondering about the front hub/bearings fitment
    Thx Roger

The 56 has ball bearings and the 62 has roller, so the hubs likely won't swap. However, there is a good chance that you may be able to use the 62 drums on the 56 hubs, if you want to try it.

Ray

I had installed ALL the brake parts/components from a '63 Riviera on my '55 Special many years ago. The '63 Riv. has self adjusting brakes whereas the '62 does not, basically the only difference. I used the HUBS & DRUMS with roller bearings from the Riv. on the front & rear drums from the Riv. on the rear. Now this is going from memory of about 40+ yrs. ago, so here goes.
    I used the inner bearing race as a spacer & a sealing area for the front wheel grease seal. I had to cut it down t fit. You'll have to figure out how much to remove, but I do know/remember that the ball bearing area of the race was removed entirely. This allowed a stop for the bearing/adjustment & an area for the seal to seal. Since I was going to a wider front shoe I shimmed out the original wheel cylinder 1/2 the amount of the added thickness by using a piece of aluminum & cutting/shaping properly. This put the actuating pins centered with the brake shoes. I installed ALL of the original Riv. components. On the right side/passenger I had to cut a slotted hole in the backing plate to be able to adjust the brakes. Same on right rear.
    For the rear, again going to wider shoes I shimmed out the wheel cylinder 1/2 the amount of the extra width. I drilled holes in the drum to install the wheel locator stud & bolts to hold the drum on.
    I was quite pleased with the ending results. I went from a 2" wide front to 2 1/4" wide with aluminum drums. In the rear went from 1 3/4" wide to 2" wide with finned drums & now had self adjusting brakes on a '55 Special. The car now stopped almost as if it had power brakes & NEVER had a fading problem & back in my younger days drove pretty hard being it had a '59/401 I rebuilt & installed with a six bolt top cover trans. & the original 3.90 rear.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Tom, would the 63 drums have worked on the 55 hubs, or did you have to keep the 63 hubs because that was the only way to make the swap work?

Ray

I can't answer that Ray as I never even checked because I was able to swap the whole assembly without changing hubs & ended up with modern roller bearings which are less expensive than ball bearings & easier to obtain as well as the front seals. The aluminum drums warp quite easily also. Another reason I didn't try. I went with the '63 as it still had left hand threads on the lug nuts for the left side front drum. ALL the hydraulics were the same originals. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel so to say.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

Thanks, Tom.

Ray

finned brake drums

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    The 56 has ball bearings and the 62 has roller, so the hubs likely won't swap. However, there is a good chance that you may be able to use the 62 drums on the 56 hubs, if you want to try it.

Ray
    Thx for the info guys. This was just a thought for dress-up. Did not realize the difference in the bearings. For the cost of the drums, I think she looks just fine , now. Roger

fins

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    I had installed ALL the brake parts/components from a '63 Riviera on my '55 Special many years ago. The '63 Riv. has self adjusting brakes whereas the '62 does not, basically the only difference. I used the HUBS & DRUMS with roller bearings from the Riv. on the front & rear drums from the Riv. on the rear. Now this is going from memory of about 40+ yrs. ago, so here goes.
    I used the inner bearing race as a spacer & a sealing area for the front wheel grease seal. I had to cut it down t fit. You'll have to figure out how much to remove, but I do know/remember that the ball bearing area of the race was removed entirely. This allowed a stop for the bearing/adjustment & an area for the seal to seal. Since I was going to a wider front shoe I shimmed out the original wheel cylinder 1/2 the amount of the added thickness by using a piece of aluminum & cutting/shaping properly. This put the actuating pins centered with the brake shoes. I installed ALL of the original Riv. components. On the right side/passenger I had to cut a slotted hole in the backing plate to be able to adjust the brakes. Same on right rear.
    For the rear, again going to wider shoes I shimmed out the wheel cylinder 1/2 the amount of the extra width. I drilled holes in the drum to install the wheel locator stud & bolts to hold the drum on.
    I was quite pleased with the ending results. I went from a 2" wide front to 2 1/4" wide with aluminum drums. In the rear went from 1 3/4" wide to 2" wide with finned drums & now had self adjusting brakes on a '55 Special. The car now stopped almost as if it had power brakes & NEVER had a fading problem & back in my younger days drove pretty hard being it had a '59/401 I rebuilt & installed with a six bolt top cover trans. & the original 3.90 rear.

Tom T.
    Thx Tom. It was just a dream of dressing-up the 56. With the cost of the finned drums and change-overs, she looks just fine now. Roger

Thanx, you don't know how many hours it took to type this with one finger. It's OK to dream & ask for opinions, but it would be nice to know beforehand as I would have asked for a phone number to call. Just a little FYI.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Custom forged pistons
    Many other "Nail" parts

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Thanx, you don't know how many hours it took to type this with one finger. It's OK to dream & ask for opinions, but it would be nice to know beforehand as I would have asked for a phone number to call. Just a little FYI.

Tom T.
    Sorry about the one finger. 770-463-4774. Just got the Buick back after 13 years. It needs some TLC and brakes. It belonged to my step-father and after his death, 1989, my son carried-on with her. Upon his death, 2000, I wa unable to cope and keep the car as it should be kept. A friend bought it and gave it to her father, in 2001, where it remained until I was notified, he was no longer able to maintain his vehicles. I then picked it up the next day.

New to this sight. It is still restrictive to my info/ input. I save every bit of info I get into my Buick file. All is appreciated.
    I saw some Fins available and thought about dressing her up a little. The change-over may be cost and technically prohibitive. Maybe down the road.
    Thx Roger