Thread: '51 Engine Paint Colors

'51 Engine Paint Colors

Anybody know what the correct paint scheme was for the '51 engines? Obviously turquoise for the block...but I seem to remember that the rule was for these engines that if a part used a gasket, it was the same color as the block. I.e. the pushrod/valve/timing chain cover, thermostat housing etc and if a gasket wasn't used, (like the generator and bracket, starter etc) then it was satin black. The wildcards being the oil filter housing which had a Chevy Orange cap and a different color blue body (not sure on my memory for this) and the distributor was black even though it used a cork gasket (at least mine had one installed) and the fuel pump.
    Am I correct on this? Going with the turquoise paint from CARS, Inc which I realize isn't a 100% match but I'm on a budget and all.
    Got a 56R or 76R parts car, '50-'53? PM me! I need some parts!

paint

Right on in all respects.

Ben

Glad my memory still works sometimes...is the blue on the oil filter housing a Chevy engine blue? Doesn't match what was left of the original Buick turquoise at all.

Kinda off-topic but if anybody has an extra rod/wingnut used to hold the upper air cleaner to the oil bath please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by krinkov58 View Post
    Glad my memory still works sometimes...is the blue on the oil filter housing a Chevy engine blue? Doesn't match what was left of the original Buick turquoise at all.

Kinda off-topic but if anybody has an extra rod/wingnut used to hold the upper air cleaner to the oil bath please PM me.
    Your pm box is full now. I have it in my car so I don't forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by krinkov58 View Post
    ...is the blue on the oil filter housing a Chevy engine blue? Doesn't match what was left of the original Buick turquoise at all.
    AC oil filter blue is not the same as Chevy engine blue. If I had to guess, I would say the AC color is darker and has more red in it. The paint may be available from restoration parts suppliers, but I have never actually looked for it.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    Your pm box is full now. I have it in my car so I don't forget.
    did you receive part?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Yeah I did man, thanks for being a stand-up guy. Only problem is...it's about an inch too long. So I guess maybe the air cleaner for the smaller engines was a little different than the 320 as far as the filter hat might have been a bit taller? But again thanks for the deal anyhow.
    What color are you guys using for the blue on your oil filter housings? Mine still has like 95% of the original blue on it but I want to freshen it up a tad. I'm using the turquoise paint from CARS Inc. which is more of a green, so I just wanna match the oil filter with something bluer.

too bad. thought they were all the same. run a die down it and cut new threads. then cut excess off.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC