From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Spring Suggestions

Spring Suggestions

Seeking advice on spring selection for my '69 Skylark. 2 Dr Htp, Buick 350,TH 350. Not after racecar handling, but something a little firmer than stock.
    Tall ball joints & offset upper shafts going in at the same time.

It's a cruiser, but I'm tired of slowing down for every corner.

Stock 7/8" front sway bar, that will be upgraded shortly. Koni front shocks, who knows on the rear (they're to be replaced too) & a 7/8" rear sway bar. I

I'm willing to lower it an inch if I have to. I'd like to replace fronts & rear springs

Any suggestions are welcome.

Chris

I am not any kind of expert.

You are putting in a heavier front sway bar, great, how about a rear sway are, also great for cornering. Ride height and width will also help. Keeping the car flat and level.

I am not such a fan of heavy springs and shocks. I perceive their purpose more to keeping ground contact, and if they don't react quickly, the car may loose traction on irregular surfaces.

You might consider a set of big block springs from a Chevelle 454, they will probably lift the car about 3/4". Or, you could have a Spring shop build you a firmer set at a lower ride height.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Sorry Bob, I didn't make it clear enough, I already have a 7/8" rear bar. The BBC springs will raise it too far.

I'm leaning to a GS or slightly firmer option. Anyone know the spring rates/dimensions the Skylark and the GS springs?

I'm doing a disc conversion, so I thought I'd replace the 45 year old springs while I'm there. The front sway bar can wait -its an easy enough job to to do.

My research tells me that some Holden springs will fit, so I'm researching that option. At least with Australian sourced springs returns are easy enough.
    And I can get them at 'mates rates' too.

Thanks for your reply. Buick advice can be hard to find in Australia!

Chris

i don't know about in Australia, but here in the States we can source all kinds of 'stock dimension' springs at various rates and heights.

you just gotta look in the circle track catalogs. you see, the 1960s through 80s Chevy Monte Carlo ( GM mid-size or A-body ) and Camaro are favorites for conversion into race cars.

something like Race Car Engineering or Summit Racing.

http://www.racecareng.com/

another option is to install adjustable spring buckets and then you can keep your stock springs but still set your ride height to anything you feel like. racers use these to fine tune corner weights.

search for 'spring bucket' on this page:
    http://www.racecareng.com/catalog-viewer?cat=65
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 06-21-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks again Bob, more food for thought.

It looks like 71-84 Holden springs interchange. So I can shop locally & talk directly to the spring makers. And save some coin too.

Gotta love GM interchangeability!!

Thanks for all replies,

Chris