263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Spark Plugs

hello all. question about plugs. recently made a 900 mile round trip to Kentucky for the Bourbon Blitzkrieg Run and Beatersville. on the way back car was running pretty sick. pulled plugs and 1,2,7,8 plugs only have .004" gap. before the trip I took checked them at .025". this is a 263 in a 52. converted to 12V with pertronix. running autolite 86. I don't think the pistons are kissing them.....no witness marks. could timing or A/F ratio cause this? what is a good plug to run and at what gap for 12v? been running this set up for about 2 years and put over 7000 miles.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

plugs

One advantage to electronic ignition is the ability to open gap to .040/.045. I have never seen a plug gap close down. Usually go the other way. I will be looking forward to learning the answer to this one.

Ben

As Ben said, plug gaps don't close. Unless you have some horrible carbon build up on the pistons to cause your "kissing" suggestion, the logical finger points to careless installation. Change them and see what happens.

To open your plug gap, you need a performance coil (a very good idea).

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    As Ben said, plug gaps don't close. Unless you have some horrible carbon build up on the pistons to cause your "kissing" suggestion, the logical finger points to careless installation. Change them and see what happens.

To open your plug gap, you need a performance coil (a very good idea).
    I can agree with carbon build up. any recommended plug?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    I can agree with carbon build up. any recommended plug?
    I'm running NGK XR5 in my 320

heat range/ gap

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    I'm running NGK XR5 in my 320
    Jyrki, did you pick the XR5 due to heat range or because 320? 263 shows xr4. what gap are you running? .035", .040"? thanks man.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

after talking to NGK tech support, with my mill he suggested running XR5. if not performing correct then to drop to xr4. ordered XR5's [3332] and should have them today. going to start with .035" gap and go from there.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    Jyrki, did you pick the XR5 due to heat range or because 320? 263 shows xr4. what gap are you running? .035", .040"? thanks man.
    I'm running a 1.2 mm gap, but then again I have LS7 coil packs

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    I'm running a 1.2 mm gap, but then again I have LS7 coil packs
    thanks. I have been to your site in the past. awesome set up. I installed these plugs and gapped to .035" tuned carb and tweaked timing. running great. plugs are clean. put in low range and brought car up to an uncomfortable rpm. no contact. so, not wristpin or bearings. in drive I got her up to 80 mph without hesitation. only at that speed for a short time. drove it to two local car shows on Saturday, about 90 miles. runs great. I don't know if the old plugs got hot and closed the ground electrode, or if there was so much carbon built up? next step is putting the original carb back on this and then sending the distributer over to Bubba's in Indy.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

plugs, distributor

Het, Long, did you get Bubba to wave his magic wand over the distributor?

I just had [found] the plug gap closing thing!! And I am old enough to know better. Car has not been running right for months, but had not driven much. Had checked and rechecked timing. Finally, today, a light came on in my head. Pulled and regapped plugs. All good. Except #8. Closed completly. Set at .40 and I love my car again. Just hope it will forgive me for being neglectful.

Ben