- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skylark turn signal gremlin

Skylark turn signal gremlin

Just fired up a 64 Skylark I purchased a while back. When going through general checks on everything I observed that when the right turn signal is turned on both front signal lights flash weakly. Rear signal works normal. Left turn signal works normal front and rear. Has anyone else out there gotten to the bottom of a similar problem?

Sounds like a possible bad ground on the RH parking light. As a check, turn on the parking lights only and post back describing what you see.

Ray

Left light works, right does not.

OK just to clarify: you had the same result for both sides when you turned only the parking lights on (not full headlights) and tried the turn signals? I ask because I have a situation where the front drivers side of my 64 Special (same car) turn signal does not light except for a very faint glow that you can only see if your face is an inch from the bulb- however, if I have my parking lights on only, the front drivers side blinks. It's gotten to a point that I drive during daytime with my parking lights on just so that I know the front driver's side blinker will show. All other blinkers work correctly without needing the parking lights on.

Hope I'm not highjacking the thread- I have the same year Buick A body, figured they are identical.

My guess is that the bumper bracket/bumper/turn signal housing on the front drivers side is rusted to the point of affecting/negating the ground.

Raycow, have you experience with this? Any insights?
    Kevin
    1964 Buick Special Deluxe
    Buick 350-4v
    Saginaw 4 speed
    1983 Monte Carlo drag car
    1969 Mercury Cougar

So I just went out and checked function with the parking lights on. The right parking light does not work. The right turn signal only does work with the parking lights on.

light

Like Ray, said, grounding problem.

Ben

Interesting how the parking lights make it work- I guess maybe it opens up the pathway to other grounds that are now "shared" via the parking lamps circuit.

An interesting experiment would be to swap the turn signal assemblies out to the other sides and see if the problem follows the housing, hence proving that it's a ground issue with the housing and bumper. Although that might be a PITA to do all that with the front bumper...
    Kevin
    Buick 350-4v
    Saginaw 4 speed
    1969 Mercury Cougar

Skylarkfan, please tell me if I am correctly describing what you see for 1 & 2. Then describe what happens on 3 & 4

1. Parking lights off - Left turn signal works normally front & rear. Right turn signal works normally rear only. Front flashes dimly both sides.

2. Parking lights on, turn signals off - Left front lights normally. Right front does not light at all.

3. Parking lights on, turn signals off - What do tail lights look like?

4. Parking lights on, turn signals on - Please describe what you see (front and rear) for right turn signal and then describe what you see (front and rear) for left turn signal. Also note what tail lights look like while turn signals are flashing

Chanceman, we will go through your issues once I get sorted out on Skylarkfan. In the meantime, please run through all 4 tests listed above and record what happens.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 05-19-2014 at 10:59 AM.

1: bad front glows on and off with blinker only barely visible
    2: neither front parking lamp lights.. Also bad green dash indicator stays on
    3: taillights work as they should
    4: good side front and rear work as they should. Bad side proper rear function, front blinks on the parking lamp fillament of the bulb. Also bad side green dash indicator stays lit (will blink when bad side signal is activated
    Kevin
    Buick 350-4v
    Saginaw 4 speed
    1969 Mercury Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Skylarkfan, please tell me if I am correctly describing what you see for 1 & 2. Then describe what happens on 3 & 4

1. Parking lights off - Left turn signal works normally front & rear. Right turn signal works normally rear only. Front flashes dimly both sides.

2. Parking lights on, turn signals off - Left front lights normally. Right front does not light at all.

3. Parking lights on, turn signals off - What do tail lights look like?

4. Parking lights on, turn signals on - Please describe what you see (front and rear) for right turn signal and then describe what you see (front and rear) for left turn signal. Also note what tail lights look like while turn signals are flashing

Chanceman, we will go through your issues once I get sorted out on Skylarkfan. In the meantime, please run through all 4 tests listed above and record what happens.

Ray
    Ray,

Tail lights work normally at all times. With parking lights on front right turn signal works properly with left parking light steady at full intensity. With parking lights on, front left signal works properly with right light dark. You have #1 and #2 correct.