Thread: '50 Super - My First Restoration Project

'50 Super - My First Restoration Project

Hi everyone! I've been reading along on the forum for a little while now while working on my car, but haven't gotten around to posting anything yet. So I thought I'd share some pictures of my project. I had been looking for a project car to work on when I came across through work that was telling me about an old car in his driveway that his wife had been nagging him to get rid of. He said he loved it, but at this point he would pretty much "give it away to someone that would restore it" ... needless to say I jumped at the chance and cleared it from his driveway for him before he could change his mind. After accidentally breaking the taillight of his mercedes while trying to load up my new "free" project, I gave him $200 for the damaged tail light and considered the cost of doing business. This was my first restoration project so I wasn't sure how deep into a restoration I was really going to get. I grew up working on stuff... its just what our family did. So I was fortunate to learn a lot about cars, construction, and general mechanics from my dad, being his helper. I thought I was just going to get this car running and drive it around.. clean it up a bit, and then maybe upgrade a few things along the way. But as I dug into it I found more and more things that needed to be repaired. So I continued to peel back the layers, and before long I found myself in the middle of full frame-off restoration... GULP!! I decided to make it a point to do as much of the car myself as humanly possible. I did not want to be just the "project manager" and bank roll for a restoration project, I wanted to do it all myself. I thought it would be awesome if I could say that I personally touched and turned every nut and bolt on the car. So far I've been able to to do everything myself from mechanical rebuild to body work and paint. Next up... learning to sew upholstery! Part of my inspiration to do everything myself is the sense of pride, but large part of it has to do with my dad. Not long into the project I decided that I wanted to give the car to my dad when I finished it so he could enjoy it. And I thought it would be a great and symbolic way to thank him for everything he's done for me and for everything he taught me. I've still got a long way to go, but I've started to make some progress. I'm hoping that I can have her on her finished and on the road by the end of the summer. I just need to save up for all that chrome!! (And no, despite rolling the idea around in my head, I will not be attempting the chrome on my own.. lol... that will definitely be sent out). I attached some pictures I've taken along the way. Its nothing fancy and not perfect.. not looking to make a show car... just a guy having some fun spending too much time and money on his hobby : )
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures....

I wasn't able to fit all the pictures the first time, so I here a few more. Hopefully now that the weather is warming up I can make some more progress and add some more pictures soon! Thanks for looking : )
    Attached Images Attached Images

welcome

looking good mate. I have a 4 door 50 super parts car. some pieces are decent. not many.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Welcome

You can be proud of what you have accomplished!!

Where do you call home?

Ben