- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Rquest for Info - Adding a PCV to a 264

Rquest for Info - Adding a PCV to a 264

Hi all,

I an updating my original 264 a little. More for show than HP or Performance. I added a new aftermarket finned valley pan that does not have the oil filler tube and does not support the origianl road tube. I replaced the value covers with covers that have breather caps. I also replaced the intake with a period 4bbl intake. I am planning a period correct Carter carb and have an aftermarket batwing air cleaner. Since I removed the road tube, I was thinking about adding a PCV. Any thoughts on how I would add one with minimal effort?

Steve in GA

Any thoughts with more than minimal effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsteve View Post
    Hi all,

I an updating my original 264 a little. More for show than HP or Performance. I added a new aftermarket finned valley pan that does not have the oil filler tube and does not support the origianl road tube. I replaced the value covers with covers that have breather caps. I also replaced the intake with a period 4bbl intake. I am planning a period correct Carter carb and have an aftermarket batwing air cleaner. Since I removed the road tube, I was thinking about adding a PCV. Any thoughts on how I would add one with minimal effort?

Steve in GA
    Any thoughts with more than minimal effort?

Depends on what you consider minimal. Are you amenable to drilling and tapping a hole in the valley cover for a hose nipple? Then use any available vacuum connection on the carb or intake manifold. I am pretty sure a brake booster was an option, so there has to be vacuum port for it somewhere. You might want to fab some kind of baffle to go on the inside of the valley cover so you won't be sucking oil out of the engine.

If the above sounds like too much work, just replace one of the valve cover caps with the kind that has a hose connection. It may not look as nice, but will work just as well.

Ray

Open this link and see what Dave Gee did about running a PCV valve into a finned aluminum cover. Pretty simple. About the 10th row down on the right hand side you'll see what he did to the under side of the cover. This is necessary in order to keep raw oil from being splashed up and into the PCV valve. Otherwise it's just a hole that's large enough for a grommet that snugs the valve into the cover. Dave went the extra mile with a bolt in valve, but as you can see by looking at the other pictures of his build, Dave doesn't do anything simple.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1965-...=photos_stream

Ed
    Last edited by nailheadnut; 04-17-2014 at 07:20 PM.