Thread: 1965 buick drum brakes

1965 buick drum brakes

I have a 1965 Buick wildcat conv't with drum brakes and I am in need of a brake job and my drums when turned will be over 12.050" but under 12.080", but the service manual says that if your drums are over 12.050" that you should use .030" oversize linings. I am finding that you cannot buy oversize linings and that I will have to get them special order. The machine shop manager says that is old school thinking and that I can use standard size linings and use the brake shoe adjustment to take up the extra slack. My question is, is he right or should I use oversize linings and why. Russ.

Good luck trying to find oversize linings. The brake shoes are made for a 12" brake drum. As the drum get turned it gets larger in diameter. In the beginning the "New" shoes will only be contacting the center part of the shoes & braking will be very poor & also cause the brakes to overheat very quickly. If after 5000 miles you pull the drums off to check the shoes you will see that all the contact is in the middle & little or NO contact on the ends. So the center of the shoes could be worn down to the rivets & the ends still have plenty of material left. Especially today with the formulation of the new shoes where little to NO asbestos is used in linings any longer the car will have very poor braking capabilities. Used to be that back in the day you could get 1/4" oversize linings as there was that much "Meat" in the drums. On your "Cat" you can go safely to .090" oversize & still be safe with enough material left in the drum. They had a tool where you could "Contour" grind the linings right on the car. I still have mine, but haven't used it for a LONG time. Just make sure the linings you get are "Riveted" & not bonded.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Also, and YES, get the oversize linings.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Oversize shoes would be best and give longer life but either way, the shoes will need to be arced to match the drum or you will have a very long break in period with decreased braking power during that period. The problem is that you will have to call around to find a brake shop that will still arc your shoes to match the drum.