Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my BIG BLACK BEAUTIFUL 57 SUPER

my BIG BLACK BEAUTIFUL 57 SUPER

Hi Everyone! thought I would take the invite to say hello and tell anyone interested, a bit about my 57 Super 2door hardtop. I bought her in 1980. She had 38396 miles on the odometer.(today she has 39476). The car was absolutely rust free. The dash was perfect. Rear seat like new. Front driver side a bit worn. The engine compartment was easily cleaned with a few rags and all original. The car ran perfectly. The paint was just ok but presentable. So too was the chrome. In 1990 I decided to make the car look like she did on February 25, 1957 (her birthday).I did it all! from cleaning and detailing the frame ,all the chrome and stainless, new rugs & seats redone. The body was stripped and painted. Factory correct tires from Coker and detailed hubcaps were the icing on the cake. I also installed stainless dual exhaust. Everything that bolts on the motor (pwr. steering, master cylinder, generator, carb. radiator, everything!) was rebuilt & restored. The motor is a 364cu.inch 300horse 4bbl. motor with dual exhaust. Like so many others, raising a family and work had the car take a back seat in my life. But now im gearing up to start showing her again and just enjoying it. Ireally love this car. I don't think I could ever sell it. You don't see these cars like you do see 57 Chevys. And I have to admit I use to really love beating them in judged car shows. 57 Buicks are very hard cars to own and restore in terms of parts. They share no body or interior parts with any other year Buick. 57s are the first and last year for many of the Buick trademarks. They were the last Buicks to have the Bomb site hood ornament,Sweapspear & Portholes simultaneously. They were the first Buicks that the hood is lower than the fenders. They were also made with a completely new drop style frame making it the lowest Buick ever built to that year. Well I hope I didn't bore anyone and I would just like to say that if I can help anyone out there who owns or is thinking of buying a 57Buick let me know.

welcome

lets see some pix.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by BBB57SUPER View Post
    Hi Everyone! thought I would take the invite to say hello and tell anyone interested, a bit about my 57 Super 2door hardtop. I bought her in 1980. She had 38396 miles on the odometer.(today she has 39476). The car was absolutely rust free. The dash was perfect. Rear seat like new. Front driver side a bit worn. The engine compartment was easily cleaned with a few rags and all original. The car ran perfectly. The paint was just ok but presentable. So too was the chrome. In 1990 I decided to make the car look like she did on February 25, 1957 (her birthday).I did it all! from cleaning and detailing the frame ,all the chrome and stainless, new rugs & seats redone. The body was stripped and painted. Factory correct tires from Coker and detailed hubcaps were the icing on the cake. I also installed stainless dual exhaust. Everything that bolts on the motor (pwr. steering, master cylinder, generator, carb. radiator, everything!) was rebuilt & restored. The motor is a 364cu.inch 300horse 4bbl. motor with dual exhaust. Like so many others, raising a family and work had the car take a back seat in my life. But now im gearing up to start showing her again and just enjoying it. Ireally love this car. I don't think I could ever sell it. You don't see these cars like you do see 57 Chevys. And I have to admit I use to really love beating them in judged car shows. 57 Buicks are very hard cars to own and restore in terms of parts. They share no body or interior parts with any other year Buick. 57s are the first and last year for many of the Buick trademarks. They were the last Buicks to have the Bomb site hood ornament,Sweapspear & Portholes simultaneously. They were the first Buicks that the hood is lower than the fenders. They were also made with a completely new drop style frame making it the lowest Buick ever built to that year. Well I hope I didn't bore anyone and I would just like to say that if I can help anyone out there who owns or is thinking of buying a 57Buick let me know.
    I really enjoyed your narrative on your '57! It seems like (certainly in the case of Buick) but many other brands had 'milestone' years during this era. Pictures would be great (as has been said before)!

My big black beautiful 57 super

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    lets see some pix.
    HI again! the 57 has been in storage for awhile.the pix i have are not digital but are pretty good. i will try to post some with the help of my computer savvy son real soon. I'm not braggin honestly. It's the car that's pretty not me. But it did score around 385 or so out of 400 at the Buick nationals in Danvers Ma. And it is in exactly the same condition or better.

I agree without a doubt that they are far & above a '57 Cheeby. Comparing one against the other the Buick almost looks like a custom in appearance!!!!.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Only my opinion but if it is such a beautiful car and obviously roadworthy why only 1100 miles in 30 plus years? These beautiful cars should be out and about showing off. Who are you saving it for? Just trying to prompt more people to drive their cars!!!!

Only 1100 miles in 30 yrs onmy 57 super

Quote Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
    Only my opinion but if it is such a beautiful car and obviously roadworthy why only 1100 miles in 30 plus years? These beautiful cars should be out and about showing off. Who are you saving it for? Just trying to prompt more people to drive their cars!!!!
    Your absolutely right! I have the all too common excuse. I read story after story of people starting some restorative work on their car and life especially with a young family puts the car project further down the to do list. Just watch the show OVERHAULIN. The 57 was in great shape but I decided to rebuild a bunch of the components like the power steering pump. Everything was done and stored In boxes with the intent of reinstalling. But then softball practices, dance recitals, and house remodeling not to mention overtime in work took precedence. Then the longer I got away from the car project and the longer it stayed under its cover the easier it got to brush it aside so to speak. But I've been really getting the BUG back. And everything is ready including my master mechanic brother and my son. I'm recovering from shoulder and bicep surgery caused by the masonry work i do but will be ready by April. I hope to post some pix of the car soon!

[QUOTE=suntreemcanic;93794]Only my opinion but if it is such a beautiful car and obviously roadworthy why only 1100 miles in 30 plus years? These beautiful cars should be out and about showing off. Who are you saving it for? Just trying to prompt more people to drive their cars!!!![/QUOTE

Pictures you asked for

Here are the pictures of my 57 super.
    Attached Images Attached Images

57 buick pics

After reading the narrative of my 57 a few asked for some pics.not sure how to post them but a couple ended up in the welcome forum under bbb57super.hope u get to see them!