From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: airbag install/ 52 special

Awesome write up. Can you post pics of your car aired down etc?

I just got a 52 special and want to do the same thing. Let me know if you have any other advice etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roofgoof View Post
    Awesome write up. Can you post pics of your car aired down etc?

I just got a 52 special and want to do the same thing. Let me know if you have any other advice etc.
    nice 2 door, and thanks. here are a few more pix.
    #2 and #4 Speedway took the pic at Vintage Torque Fest 2014. #3 is from Bourbon Blitzkrieg Run 2013/ Rod Authority took the pic. #5 is From Ol' Skool Rodz. this is factory drivetrain. to drop to the ground you'll need dropped uprights and notch the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.8 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (120.5 KB, 60 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (148.6 KB, 59 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (56.1 KB, 51 views)
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

I plan on notching rear but prob need more info on front (newbie here).

What at system did you go with. ? Any leaks etc?? I'm trying to get input on which set up to do or just get a kit with everything in one package.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    nice 2 door, and thanks. here are a few more pix.
    #2 and #4 Speedway took the pic at Vintage Torque Fest 2014. #3 is from Bourbon Blitzkrieg Run 2013/ Rod Authority took the pic. #5 is From Ol' Skool Rodz. this is factory drivetrain. to drop to the ground you'll need dropped uprights and notch the frame.

Awesome job man. It looks sick. I may wanna bag mine now after seeing yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pendleton View Post
    Awesome job man. It looks sick. I may wanna bag mine now after seeing yours!!!
    thank you. some people hate bags, some don't.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Man that looks sick!

Could you give a list of what you had to buy for the kit? Around about how much you spent on it?

Would this be close to the same how-to for my 52 hardtop super?

Great thread. I installed air bags on my '56 a few years ago and my bag brackets are almost identical to yours. The rear on mine is very bouncy as well - I've been trying to remedy this for quite some time. The '56 Buicks came with tube shocks, and I'm currently running stiffer monotube truck shocks, but that hasn't really fixed it. I had Air Lift Dominator bags in there and switched to Slam Specialties - still not great. I wonder if this is just the nature of the beast...

Quote Originally Posted by 1956century View Post
    Great thread. I installed air bags on my '56 a few years ago and my bag brackets are almost identical to yours. The rear on mine is very bouncy as well - I've been trying to remedy this for quite some time. The '56 Buicks came with tube shocks, and I'm currently running stiffer monotube truck shocks, but that hasn't really fixed it. I had Air Lift Dominator bags in there and switched to Slam Specialties - still not great. I wonder if this is just the nature of the beast...
    not sure about tube shocks. are the truck shocks too long? maybe use some that have a shorter throw. find a lowrider site and see if ones from a caprice will work. I think sites like airbagit have shortened tube shocks.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

I spec'd them out to be in the middle of their travel when at ride height, so I don't think that's an issue. I'm thinking it's just has to do with the bag placement over the axle.

Nice job there,i have just done the rear on mine and finally got it leak free,looking at my front set up and there isn't a lot of room for a bag unless i get one to fit inside the spring pocket,i noticed that you open'd your frame out,if i done this would it allow the bag to sit up inside and get the front on the bump stops??

HOODS CC England