Thread: Will a rad for a 66 Wildcat swap in a 66 Riv?

Will a rad for a 66 Wildcat swap in a 66 Riv?

Hi

So I need a new rad for my 66 Riv and it will cost between 500 and 600 bucks here in Nova Scotia. Si I check on line with RockHard Auto and they dont have Rad for AC.....which I thought odd because I thought all rivs had AC. So I looked under 66 WildCAT and they had one for 200 Bucks and with the cost of shipping that should be cheaper. Considering that the one that is in it now I am sure came out of a random GM B body 20 years ago is there any reason why this would not fit my car? if for whatever reason I dont use the AC is there a problem with me hooking up a non AC rad up...as long as I use the right belts?

Thanks Tony

Between AC and non-AC, I would expect the AC to have more cooling capacity and maybe some provision for mounting the condenser. Otherwise they should probably swap without any problems, especially if you aren't using the AC.

Between Wildcat and Riviera, you may have mounting issues because they are different bodies. This doesn't mean you can't mount it, but you won't know until you try. Back when I was younger and wilder, I installed a 61 Tempest radiator in a 67 Rambler American and it worked fine. When I sold the Rambler, the buyer didn't even notice the wrong radiator, and believe me, it looked very wrong.

Ray

My info shows with a/c, '65 Wildcat and Electra w/ac, '66 except LeSabre w/ac, '66 Riv. 2" thick

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks raycow....I was tracking the body/frame difference between riv and wildcat but i thought it might be worth a shot. I might see if a non ac rad is available cause, like i said, I dont use it anyway and I have the belts for both configurations. I was actually thinking about pulling all the crap out of there anyway.

I am sure that when I went to the local Rad guy around here 20 years ago and said I needed a triple core rad that he grunted and pulled something of his wall and made me a rad....I have no idea what it was out of but it fit.....sort of...needed different hoses. I dont really want to go down that road again.

Hey Bob.... are you saying that those rads are all the same size and should fit?

Anyway thanks to both of you for your advice. NAPA hasn't got back to me for the Rad so I have time yet and am not committed.

Cheers

Tony

Yes, they are the same.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes, they are the same.
    Right on Bob...thanks a bunch.

I think you just might have saved me some bucks.

As soon as this storm blows over I will see if that effects NAPAs pricing and if not I will check Rock Hard again.

Cheers
    Tony