263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reverse flow?

Quote Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
    better fuel distribution on a forced induction application (turbo)
    and by better, i mean that in reference to converting to multi-port efi to maintain precise fuel control over each cylinder, by having one intake port for each cylinder with it's fuel injector in that intake manifold runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    Sounds good. Let me know when you get somebody to make your billet cam.
    Doug
    yes, the camshaft is the other issue to deal with

well buick straight 8,s have big problem on intake side, they have been tweeked and modified to obtain pretty amazing performance in spite of not having the best breathing. The intake looks like its made for a tractor, and then is saddled with siamese ports, then they made it worse with the forties intake manifolds even the 4 barrel manifold has 90 degree bends. A lot can be said for using the exhaust ports with individual smooth flowing ports. Good flow many times trump bad intake porting. Also a blower or turbo would really work, just my thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 12-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.

hidden carrb

By the way while talking unusual porting, has anybody seen the Ford flatty with a 'hidden carb under the intake manifold'??? Dont recall

what kinda carb it was but it took in air from the oil filler hole and blowby tubes. nobody figured out why he was so fast !!!

I think it was a midwest roundy round car or something like that, it blew me away when I saw it. I'll try and find it. I thought I had seen it on the web someone had done that to an ford flathead!-----anyway guy fooled everyone, it ran away from the competition, I think it was a small one barrel carb ! I,m still searching, he donated it to a museum, Hey! I couldnt have dreamt this up!
    Last edited by 39CENT; 02-16-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: corrections

i'd like to do it, but i'm sure the camshaft machining is where the project just gets too expensive to do it. i already have the turbo header and intake planned out. who knows, I've done dumber things with money.

has anybody seen the Ford flatty with a hidden carb under the intake manifold???

never heard of it. was it used in early NASCAR or something?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

reverse flow head

I think it was a midwest roundy round car or something like that, it blew me away when I saw it. I'll try and find it. I thought I had seen it on the web someone had done that to an ford flathead!-----anyway guy fooled everyone, it ran away from the competition, I think it was a small one barrel carb ! I,m still searching, he donated it to a museum or somthing, I couldnt have dreamt this up!
    Last edited by 39CENT; 02-16-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Backwards Buick Nailhead

Quote Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
    has anybody ever tried or seen somebody try to reverse flow the cylinder head? what i mean by that is switch intake and exhaust ports. you really just need to install the distributor 180 out for it to run that way, right?

since there are 8 exhaust ports, one for each cylinder, you can get around fuel distribution issues with port fuel injection. siamesed exhaust runners wouldn't hurt too much i don't think. 4 ports makes it easy to make a turbo header.
    Yes, my husband did this in the late 90s. Runs great!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnEmpty View Post
    Yes, my husband did this in the late 90s. Runs great!
    Any clue where he got the cam to make it all work?

Yes

He had it custom made by Howard Cam back then. It has been over 20 yrs. Anyone can do it, today they would likely use a computer and have the cam locations changed. He would need to be a Bilett Cam. One with a roller shaft.
    Not sure how it would work on a street application due to the heat. It requires a higher cooling capacity. We have our in a boat. Feel free to email him at mjpelphrey@yahoo.com if you like to discuss further. He doesn’t mind y’all to others about it.