263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reverse flow?

reverse flow?

has anybody ever tried or seen somebody try to reverse flow the cylinder head? what i mean by that is switch intake and exhaust ports. you really just need to install the distributor 180 out for it to run that way, right?

since there are 8 exhaust ports, one for each cylinder, you can get around fuel distribution issues with port fuel injection. siamesed exhaust runners wouldn't hurt too much i don't think. 4 ports makes it easy to make a turbo header.

Reverse-Flow Head

Quote Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
    has anybody ever tried or seen somebody try to reverse flow the cylinder head? what i mean by that is switch intake and exhaust ports. you really just need to install the distributor 180 out for it to run that way, right?

since there are 8 exhaust ports, one for each cylinder, you can get around fuel distribution issues with port fuel injection. siamesed exhaust runners wouldn't hurt too much i don't think. 4 ports makes it easy to make a turbo header.
    What would be the advantage of this? Build a new header out of tubing; forget swapping the ports around.
    For one thing, the cam and valve timing would all be off. The firing order and ignition timing would be the same; you would just be swapping the function of the intake and exhaust valves, so you would need a different camshaft (each pair of lobes would swap positions).

the Buick straight 8 shares intake ports in pairs. it's one of the great performance bottlenecks on the engine.

if you reverse flow the engine and feed the turbo off of what are now exh ports, i presume that the restricted port cross section wouldn't matter near as much.

this actually was done on a Buick, but on a Nailhead v8 dragster. it's really weird to see a exhaust stacks sticking out of the 'intake' valley. the intake ports are also a major restriction on the Nail.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1358424165.jpg

Nailhead_Powered_Dragster1358424165.jpg
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Sounds good. Let me know when you get somebody to make your billet cam.
    Doug

reverse flow?

Well I, kind of like that, its been done before but havnt seen anything about results, Buick straight 8,s have fairly good flowing exh ports and flow IS important!

Flathead Ford guys did it with moderate success, so give it a try. Can't hurt.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

I have seen that done on Fords, but I thought it was to get cooler running, because the stock setup runs the exhaust through the water jacket. Fords have only 3 exhaust ports, so how would it help to use them for intake?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Wascator View Post
    What would be the advantage of this?
    better fuel distribution on a forced induction application (turbo)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the Buick straight 8 shares intake ports in pairs. it's one of the great performance bottlenecks on the engine.

if you reverse flow the engine and feed the turbo off of what are now exh ports, i presume that the restricted port cross section wouldn't matter near as much.

this actually was done on a Buick, but on a Nailhead v8 dragster. it's really weird to see a exhaust stacks sticking out of the 'intake' valley. the intake ports are also a major restriction on the Nail.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1358424165.jpg

Nailhead_Powered_Dragster1358424165.jpg
    that's exactly what i was thinking. once the turbo spools up, the exhaust ports don't matter as much, and the siamesed ports shouldn't hurt exhaust flow as much as the fuel distribution problemcould be a major tuning issue. plus its different.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    I have seen that done on Fords, but I thought it was to get cooler running, because the stock setup runs the exhaust through the water jacket. Fords have only 3 exhaust ports, so how would it help to use them for intake?

Ray
    Im not sure what their thought process was that made them think they needed to do it, but many did. The current Flathead Ford powered record holder Bonneville streamliner of Ron Main is done that way. It has the record at a little over 300 MPH, so it must help when trying to build an engine to that degree of power.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!