Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with engine swap I have a buick super eight engine 248.

need help with engine swap I have a buick super eight engine 248.

hello,
    I need an advice. I have a 248 engine and I found a 53 buick special engine 263. My concern is that if this new engine will fit the transmission of car. If that wont work I know some one who its selling an engine from a buick super year 50.

Thank you

gus

If you have going from a manual tranny 248 to a manual tranny 263, no problem. Same for DynaFlow to DynaFlow. The end of the crankshaft on a engine w/ a manual tranny is different from that of a DynaFlow setup engine.

Also, the engine mounts on a later 263 are on the side, while the engine mounts on a 248 are on the front of the engine.

Eng swap

Quote Originally Posted by chicopillo View Post
    hello,
    I need an advice. I have a 248 engine and I found a 53 buick special engine 263. My concern is that if this new engine will fit the transmission of car. If that wont work I know some one who its selling an engine from a buick super year 50.

Thank you

gus
    I have a 6-bolt Roadmaster tranny if it will help. Asking $400.00.

jbt717, what year is your transmission?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    jbt717, what year is your transmission?

Ray
    1947 Roadmaster

Sorry, but I'm going to need a 48, and that seems to be a one-year-only part. Thank you anyway.

Ray

water pump

long story short, now I know at automatic transmission engine wont fit a manual stick shift. Luckily I found a 51 Buick roadmaster engine manual and already installed and fire it up in the 49 super buick. but when ready to install fan, I notice that the water pump its different from the original engine the buick. The original pump water outlet its in the front of block the newer 51 its on the side. I installed the 51 water pump the engine came with but then when ready to install fan blades I notice the blades stick out more that the original so, it will hit the radiator. I decide to use 49 fan blades and they hit the crankshaft pulley. Do any one have an idean what to do to bypass this issue?

thank you

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by chicopillo View Post
    long story short, now I know at automatic transmission engine wont fit a manual stick shift. Luckily I found a 51 Buick roadmaster engine manual and already installed and fire it up in the 49 super buick. but when ready to install fan, I notice that the water pump its different from the original engine the buick. The original pump water outlet its in the front of block the newer 51 its on the side. I installed the 51 water pump the engine came with but then when ready to install fan blades I notice the blades stick out more that the original so, it will hit the radiator. I decide to use 49 fan blades and they hit the crankshaft pulley. Do any one have an idean what to do to bypass this issue?

thank you

Gus
    All I had was a tranny.....my str8 is a 320........ Good luck! jbt717

can't you use some type of spacer on that fan? just enough to clear that crankshaft pulley
    Grease monkey and proud to be one!VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE

Gus, what happens if you install the 49 crankshaft pulley and run the complete 49 setup?

Ray