From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Motor trans and rear end swap

double-o Guest

Motor trans and rear end swap

Hi, i have a 55 buick with the original 264 , dynaflow auto trans and tube suspension , i want to go with a pontiac 403 with a turbo 400 trans and rear from a camero or firebird a 10 bolt chevy rear, also i will need to go front disk brakes, 1st question is this going to be a easy swap second question can i use camero or firebird parts for front brake swap if not what works best.. thank you scott.300332_10150282296848282_717993281_7881554_1485359403_n.jpg

don't you have a torque tube transmission?

if yes, that alone means that this swap will be very involved. not that it can't be done, but it can't be termed 'easy'.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Scott, I usually don't try to talk people out of doing whatever they want to their projects, but you are looking at some serious chassis re-engineering at both ends of the car.

Could you please give us a little background info about yourself, automotively speaking, and also tell us whether you had planned to do the work yourself or have a rod shop do it?

Ray

double-o Guest

swap

Well i have had several years of working on 4x4s doing swaps , now with that said this will be much more invloved , the motor and transmission ive got fig out , im working on researching what rear end works best so far seems the 10 bolt chevy will work from a camero or firebird , on the front there are kits i can purchase to swap to disk brakes , one i found in B C canada , if the spindles are the same size as a 55 chevy which i doubt that makes it even easier, as far as getting things done welding , and such i have friends who have yrs of fab experiance , so i have a safety net of friends but alot of this i want to do myself. Now ive had this car 6 yrs and turned every nut and bolt ive had the rear out and put back in in 3 or 4 hours myself , im looking to take longer road trips and want newer equipment and more reliability , i could go 4 link but im not shure i want to .... anything else just ask ...

Scott,That 55 of yours is a beauty! And original too, that's a plus. Just my opinion that original is more sought after than an old car that drives like a modern one. Yes we would like to have both but once it is highly modified it is no longer a 55 except in appearance and is unlikely to ever return to original. If you want all the modern stuff you may want to consider concentrating your research on the feasibility of finding which modern chassis and drive train would accept transplant of the 55 body. This might be a simpler route that chopping and modifying and working out all the details to make components fit. It would also save the original chassis and drive train for another Buick enthusiast. Whichever route you decide on there will be someone wanting to buy the car before you chop it. I certainly would offer but finances don't allow that. John
    Last edited by TexasJohn55; 12-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.

55 engine swap

First that 403 was in a Firebird but it is really an Oldsmobile engine, it is very compact based on the 350 Olds block. It has a rear sump pan like he 264 not may not be a difficult swap.. My opinion is I would keep it all Buick, the biggest draw back you have is the Dynaflow, if you bought the trans adapter we sell and put a overdrive automatic and replace the rear end with the torque tube eliminator kit that Hot Rods To Hell sells you will have a sweet ride.. put a 4 barrel on the 264 from a 322 and it will look stock and still have the upgrades to drive anywhere and you will be amazed at the power and MPG you will get.. You can also use a later nailhead and those swaps are covered in my website. The best frame for a 55 Buick is the one you have, frame swaps are very costly and difficult, I would you the Firebird front clip if you wanted to go all out but I would just convert the front to disc. The nailhead is one of the most durable engines ever made.. When you run a nailhead there is always a crowd around your car asking about them, I have won many BEST ENGINE awards with my cars beating out common chevy and ford engines. Russ

double-o Guest

Cool Swap

never mind ... ill just do it myself... thank you

55 engine swap

What do you mean "you will just do it yourself"? am I missing something? no one can tell you every problem you will run into, you can attack those problems one at a time, every engine swap is different.. I did not say don't use the 403, I would rather see you use the Olds than a SBC .. I think the Olds will fit without major problems but I have never done it or seen it done before. Russ

double-o Guest
    I GET ON FACEBOOK AND IN 10 MIN I HAVE A SITE TO GET FRONT DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT FOR 205 DOLLARS , ALL IVE GOTTEN HERE IS LECTURES ON WHY NOT TO WORK ON MY CAR, I DONT MEAN TO BE RUDE IM SHURE EVERYONE MEANS WELL BUT THIS PAGE IS NOT FOR ME .... THANK YOU AND Merry Christmas if anyone need it scarebird.com and you keep your buick spindles and bolt pattern they also have rear conversion kits as well from the 40s on up

55 engine swap

Well this is a Buick lovers site, why would you expect anything else? I only shared my opinion but it was not what you wanted to hear.. Russ