- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fresh 'fireball' engine. Please help me with value and appropriate sales market.

A fresh 'fireball' engine. Please help me with value and appropriate sales market.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good day gentlemen. This is the first time Ive ever been to this site, but I am well known over on a few Camaro and Corvette boards. I assure you I am not just some spammer trying to make a quick buck. Let me get right to the point. My friend has the above engine sitting in a barn. The previous owner's wife (owner deceased) has no clue about the engine and just wants it sold as 'scrap'. I have no use for the engine, but Im sure someone on this forum can either find a use for it or knows someone who can. All that is known about the engine is the location where it sits (Upstate New York) It appears freshly rebuilt and someone went thru a lot of trouble matching every detail right down to the decals. SO, a few questions...is this a 'rare' engine (as opposed to say, a small block chevy) What is the going rate for an engine in this condition? Lastly, where is a good venue to sell an obvious niche engine like this? I didnt see any on ebay and only a few on a general internet search. Any info is welcome. Thanks. -Scott

is it more rare than a SBC? what isn't?

no Buick Straight 8 has been in production since 1953 ( 263ci, 1950-53 ). 320 ( from 1936 )and 248 ( from 1937-1950 ) production ended in 1952. 248 and 263 ( head length 31 1/4" ) share the same basic cylinder block, 320 ( head length 34 1/2" ) is longer.

we have a classified section here ( see toolbar at top ). also, the AACA forums deal with a lot of the REALLY old iron.

if you have find a version of the car VIN stamped on the engine, that would help identify year and size.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

For what it's worth, the engine is a 320 cu. in. from a Roadmaster chassis. The valve cover should measure about 35 in. long.
    Doug

That engine came from a 48-52 car (because of the side mounts). To date it more closely, you will need to post the numbers stamped on a machined pad located to the rear of the distributor and just below the pushrod cover.

Ray

Looks like a small Engine.
    You can make a Pic from the other Side ? Maybe there are the vertical cast Rips of a 263 outside of the Block
    They are direktly on each Zylinder.
    And a Pic from the rear Side,because is it a Manual or Dynaflow Engine. You see here a big,nearly 2" Hole in theCrank or a
    far smaller one, like 1" dia.? Then its for a Pilot Bearing.
    That both and the Number,on the Side of the Block between Distributorhole and Starter we need for id.
    Last edited by Jenz38; 11-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Is the engine worth a large 'marketing effort' (Ebay posting with lots of pictures, working out shipping such a heavy item, etc) or should I just post it locally? I know nothing of this engine or its application. Where does this engine rate in the 'Buick' world? (For instance, a late 60's Chevy BB 427 is much more valuable than a early 70's 454 BB) Im not really concerned with making a killing, Im more concerned with getting this engine back into the hands of someone who will appreciate it. Is this engine a collectors item or is it just a plain old straight 8 thats readily available in the Buick community?

Ill try to get more pictures as I can, but its across town and my friend is still working out taking over the possessions in the barn.

The engine is from a 48-52 Roadmaster. Judging from what we can see it is most likely in excellant shape. [nobody would detail a locked up junker like that]. Someone who is restoring a car of that vintage and model would be foolish not to follow up on this. Being out here in Montana it is not logistically feasable but I would love to have it. Maybe I could buy it and somebody could bring it to Bonneville in August. [

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    The engine is from a 48-52 Roadmaster. Judging from what we can see it is most likely in excellant shape. [nobody would detail a locked up junker like that]. Someone who is restoring a car of that vintage and model would be foolish not to follow up on this. Being out here in Montana it is not logistically feasable but I would love to have it. Maybe I could buy it and somebody could bring it to Bonneville in August. [
    Im also assuming the engine is rebuilt and in pristine condition. IF I can make solid contact with the owner, Im going to start negotiating. Where do I start? What can I expect a collector to pay for this engine? I see the dizzy is missing, is that a deal breaker? (again, I have no Buick knowledge and dont know if this part is crucial, rare or unobtainable.)

How many posts until my posts no longer need admin review? (when I post Im getting 'your submission needs to be reviewed by admin'

Sorry Doug,yes your're right. I forgot to look for the location of the Enginestamp.
    On this Pic the Motor looks short like a small One.
    And Bonneville, is a gooood Option

it looks also like a Dynaflash Engine with this thin "Flywheel"...
    What is it for a Tranny in the right Corner on the Pic ?

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    How many posts until my posts no longer need admin review? (when I post Im getting 'your submission needs to be reviewed by admin'
    Get to five, and you are on your own. We had a rash of very smart spambots.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)