- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw Out Bearing Sleeve?

Throw Out Bearing Sleeve?

Can anyone identify or name to me what this piece is called and where I might find one. It sits in the bell housing, transmission side, and the transmission shaft goes through it. I am told its the sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on. I need a specific name so I can try and locate one. If anyone has one they are willing to part with I would gladly buy it. The car is a 1947 Buick Special, 2 door, 3 speed manual, series 40.
    IMG_2727.jpgIMG_2728.jpgIMG_2729.jpgIMG_2730.jpg

As you can see the one I have is damaged from trying to separate the trans, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel which were fused together from years of sitting in the mud.
    Thanks
    Pete

That's the first one of those I have ever seen which was broken. GM calls it a Clutch Release Bearing Support and it is in Group 0.821. Pontiac and Olds also used a very similar part, but I don't know if any of theirs will work in a Buick.

Here is the Pontiac part, if you are brave enough to try it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/46-47-48-49-...-/261277727601

Hopefully, someone here with a Buick parts manual will see this thread and tell you the correct part number. Then you can do a Google search. When I tried just the group number, I got zilch.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Purchased the part from eBay. Thanks again.

Pete

Pete, once you receive it, please let us know how the part fits and whether or not it requires any modifications. I think more Pontiacs were built with manual transmissions than Buicks, so if we have another source for parts out there, it could help a lot.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Ray I got the sleeve today and it fits. IMG_2752.jpg I haven't pressed it into the bell housing yet, I just laid it in to check the fit and its good. Thanks again. Any thoughts on the torque ball? I took the original apart, cleaned it up, got a new rubber tapered gasket, new shim kit and new gasket to go between the trans and torque ball. Do I need to lubricate between the brass cups? With the trans in neutral should I be able to spin the universal by hand? Right now, assembled, I can not turn it. IMG_2754.jpg

Glad to hear the Pontiac bearing support fits. I will make a note of it, but we really need to have this interchange info somewhere on the board, probably in the reference section.

The torque ball is normally lubricated from the trans. When you first assemble it from dry parts, smear a thin film of oil or grease on all the contact surfaces (including the seal) so they don't bind or scuff.

The trans output shaft should turn easily by hand when the trans is in neutral. It should also turn in any other gear as long as the input shaft isn't in the clutch. Can you turn the input shaft by hand? If not, pull the cover and make sure the trans isn't stuck in two gears at the same time.

Ray

Throw out bearing

Do you have the throw out bearing / clutch release bearing. If not I think I have three of them. Would have to see your first.

As of right now I don't have a throw out bearing. I was waiting too see if a cheap one came on to eBay. These are some photos of he one that was in the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Throw out bearing

I have three of them. every once in a while you can find one on E-bay. Nobody makes them anymore Nobody. And they haven't been made in years. The ones I have are old stock. Just like new. But the ones I have are not cheap. Sorry I'm not trying to be a A-hole, but I paid a lot for them and no many are left anywhere. $100.00 plus freight. If you're not in a rush, you might find one on E-bay. About every 6 months I see one. Good Luck to you. My 859-339-0489.

Throw out bearing

You can get the bearing at you parts house, but not the sleeve.