- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 63 skylark axle

63 skylark axle

Hey guys. I am busy restoring a 63 skylark with a bigger engine and auto tranny but I am trying to id the rear axle as there is no numbers stamped on it. For now without completely stripping the rear axle out I can say it has a 1 1/8 pinion nut, 7.5 inch ring gear( best measuring I can do in place) bolt in side shafts .Any idea what axle I have???
    Then I have read that they are not good or strong and parts are impossible to get...? My engine pushes out 224kw and 441 nm of torque , axle ratio in it now is 3.36-1 (37-11) .

Can anyone help ID this and Advise if it is a worth while axle to keep or to swop it out and if so with what as there is top and bottom control arms to consider
    thxs

many of the old axles have little to nothing in the way of mass aftermarket support.

if you decide to swap out, there are many aftermarket shops which will sell you either a GM 8.5" or a Ford 9" axle with any spring pocket / attachment points you want. the GM 8.5 should be fine for your power production, if you think you're going to be swapping diffs regularly for some reason you should probably choose the Ford.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    many of the old axles have little to nothing in the way of mass aftermarket support.

if you decide to swap out, there are many aftermarket shops which will sell you either a GM 8.5" or a Ford 9" axle with any spring pocket / attachment points you want. the GM 8.5 should be fine for your power production, if you think you're going to be swapping diffs regularly for some reason you should probably choose the Ford.
    Thxs bob sounds easy enough but havnt a clue who does this or offers it. Do u have anyone in mind as in a shop that does this that i can hook up via the internet. Its a ****** living in Africa we havnt got a clue what happens and who to use that side of the sea