Thread: 1957 Buick Special Restoration

Cool 1957 Buick Special Restoration

Hello all!
    I purchased this 1957 Buick Special just under a year ago. I was told that it had 2 pans replaced and it had little rust. After the car arrived and got it on the lift, I realized that the back of the frame was rusted and not repairable. I found a replacement frame (rolling chase) here in Minnesota from a Century. I had the frame delivered and replaced everything back to original specs with the exception of the springs (-2 inches front and back). I will have some spare parts as the replacement frame had a rear-end and all front suspension. I was told that only 20, 4 door standard trans were ever made in 57. Anyone know if that is true?

DSCF1479.JPG
    What I have done in the past 10 months.

• Made small repairs to the replacement frame.
    • Had everything powder coated.
    • New front and back springs (-2”)
    • New ball joints “$1500.00”, REALLY???? Bastards!
    • Engine (364) and heads have been done. Will post a picture when I get done painting it.
    • Transmission was sent out and looked at. Nothing was needed, very nice!
    • Rear-end was pulled apart, all bearings were replaced and it was resealed. Took it apart so I can get it power coated.
    • Everything else is new, brakes, wheel bearings, brake lines to name a few.
    • The replacement frame has been all put together and rolling now.
    • Currently disassembling the original car and getting it ready for body shop for metal work and paint (ETA 2 weeks or mid Nov).

DSCF1750.jpg

Issues and concerns at this point-

• Wiring harness – Will need to replace all wiring including fuse panel. Looks like I might just get a newer alternator so I don’t need the voltage regulator. Should I just get a $500 GM standard replacement unit or replace with the more expensive harnesses? Any ideas or comments are appreciated.
    • Looking for parking light and head light wire replacements. Anyone?
    • Looking for replacement flexible snap-in window channel, looking for cheap replacements. Ideas?
    • I found a front bumper replacement (didn’t need all of it but the place would not part it out). If you need some front bumper parts let me know.
    • Rear bumper, not able to find one. I am looking for both lower side fenders with brackets and the driver’s side corner. I think the one can be repaired but it might cost around the same.

Next steps

• Once I get the car stripped it will go to the body shop.
    • Pull the body off the old bad frame.
    • Start replacing the bad (2) pans and some minor metal repair in the truck area.
    • Send all parts to be chromed.
    • Bring the new frame with engine, trans and rear-end to shop and mount to the body.
    • Paint
    • Reassemble
    • Drive by spring time in 7 Months!

Quote Originally Posted by SirCatman View Post
    I was told that only 20, 4 door standard trans were ever made in 57. Anyone know if that is true?
    I recall reading that manual transmissions were about 2% of total production. That would be a lot more than 20, but they are still extremely scarce.

Ray

2% of all production 2 door, 4 door were almost always auto. Not that this is a 1 off car but from my understanding it is a rare car (have been told Buick members 1 of 20). If anyone has any solid info on the number of 4 door standard trans that would be great. Would also like to see if anyone can answer the other concerns, questions I had.

Update to my 4 door 57 Buick Special

Wanted to share an updated image, Engine, trans and rear-end are all back together. Body will be put on the restored frame in the next 2 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images