Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going backwards

Going backwards

Hi all!
    I had my '01 Le Sabre in a car show yesterday but didn't get many eyes on it since it was more about the classics. So I asked some of the guys of our car club about putting older parts on my car to make it "pop" out more...

So my question is; What older Buick rims would fit good on mine?

(2001 Le Sabre Limited- right now it has 225 60 16 on it)

I own some newer vehicles as well as older vehicles, so I know what you mean about your can not getting attention at shows. The thing with having a 2001 front-wheel drive Lesabre is that most car guys won't pay much attention to it, no matter what you do to it. Most of the muscle car guys won't respect it because it's FWD and V6 powered. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. The biggest thing is to make sure you're happy with the car, then it shouldn't really matter. I build my vehicles for me, and get more comments of people telling me how they think I should do something. It's more annoying than anything, so consider that before you try to make changes to make it more noticeable to others. All attention isn't good attention.

I don't have experience with the specific wheel swap you're thinking of, but because a lot of the earlier wheels were built for drum brakes and the offsets were not built for FWD you might have a hard time putting older model wheels on it (especially as yours came with 16's originally. Good luck! If one of your club guys can lend you an old wheel with the right bolt pattern to try and see if it fits, then you'll have an idea on offset and wheel size that you need.

FWD, v6 and no forced induction?

yeah, it's gonna be tough to get any attention no matter what you do.

the other thing about putting old style rims on is that you're going to be taking a step backwards, handling wise. VERY FEW older rims are larger than 15x7 unless you're getting into aftermarket Cragars or something. my 95 Probe came with 16x7 ( which is what i presume you have ) and that was quite large for the time. the all out sports car RX-7 from the same year only had 16x8's.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
    I own some newer vehicles as well as older vehicles, so I know what you mean about your can not getting attention at shows. The thing with having a 2001 front-wheel drive Lesabre is that most car guys won't pay much attention to it, no matter what you do to it. Most of the muscle car guys won't respect it because it's FWD and V6 powered. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. The biggest thing is to make sure you're happy with the car, then it shouldn't really matter. I build my vehicles for me, and get more comments of people telling me how they think I should do something. It's more annoying than anything, so consider that before you try to make changes to make it more noticeable to others. All attention isn't good attention.

I don't have experience with the specific wheel swap you're thinking of, but because a lot of the earlier wheels were built for drum brakes and the offsets were not built for FWD you might have a hard time putting older model wheels on it (especially as yours came with 16's originally. Good luck! If one of your club guys can lend you an old wheel with the right bolt pattern to try and see if it fits, then you'll have an idea on offset and wheel size that you need.
    Thanks. Very true and helpful.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    FWD, v6 and no forced induction?

yeah, it's gonna be tough to get any attention no matter what you do.

the other thing about putting old style rims on is that you're going to be taking a step backwards, handling wise. VERY FEW older rims are larger than 15x7 unless you're getting into aftermarket Cragars or something. my 95 Probe came with 16x7 ( which is what i presume you have ) and that was quite large for the time. the all out sports car RX-7 from the same year only had 16x8's.

True. Can't please someone better than myself. Thanks

actually, i wasn't thinking. you CAN get attention ... if you go the Jap bosozoku route. the question is whether you'd want to be seen in a car like this -

http://warehen.blogspot.com/2013/02/...lture-why.html

http://www.bosozokustyle.com/

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

What a revelation! Up until now, I thought I had seen all of the worst customs that deranged minds could dream up. Now that I know even worse ones are still out there and waiting for me, I have a reason to go on living.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 10-23-2013 at 02:05 PM.

dude, there's a reason why Japan has a well earned reputation as the freak show capital of the world.
    Vladimir Lenin

Lightbulb In a case like this, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    actually, i wasn't thinking. you CAN get attention ... if you go the Jap bosozoku route. the question is whether you'd want to be seen in a car like this -

http://warehen.blogspot.com/2013/02/...lture-why.html

http://www.bosozokustyle.com/

I don't want attention anymore. I just want to have a nice car that I can enjoy.
    Metal Prince

your 01 Le Sabre has a Series 2 3800 v6.

the 96-99 Riviera came with a Supercharged Series 2 3800 that put out 240hp / 280tq. that's a pretty good step up from your 205hp / 230tq.

making that swap would be beneficial for your performance and might get some attention, especially if you put Riv style 'Supercharged' tags on the car.

and now for more Nip weirdness, Fanta: Jap style
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hQGOOR5g0

Vladimir Lenin