Thread: '64 Buick Skylark 4 Dr 'Special' 300ci V8

Cool '64 Buick Skylark 4 Dr 'Special' 300ci V8

Hi all,
    Have today been up to the DVLA office in Norwich yet again to register my '64 Skylark, hopefully it will be successful this timeWhat is wrong with these people? they seem to take some sort of misguided pride in creating every possible obstacle to stop you from enjoying your passion for older vehicles. Sadly now I've missed the best of the summer 'cruising' weather but there are a couple of clubs locally that meet up in the evening for a beer and a friendly chat.
    Am looking forward to those with relish as it will be the first time the Buick has been seen on the 'circuit' so to speak. It was discovered in one of the Principality of Monaco's private car parks and had been languishing there for some seventeen years. The paintwork had obviously suffered but amazingly, in spite of the car being unlocked, the only bits missing were the interior mirror and the rear armrest ashtrays (which are still missing if anyone can help with) It was brought over in '05 but never registered. I've owned it now for 10 months in which time I've re-commissioned it and it's now ready to roll, fingers crossed, pending the registration number that is.
    There are a couple of things I would like to know about the engine which is a 300ci cast iron block V8, (1) where do I find the engine #? and (2) how do I tell if it's high or low compression? According to recent research regarding the engine #, it seems likely that it's at the front left side of the block, but it looks to me that you might have to take off the alternator and several pipes to find it. The carburetor is a Rochester 2 barrel, thanks for any help.

If it is a 64 300, it will have aluminum heads and an aluminum intake. The 2 barrel was the lower compression model. There is a 4 barrel aluminum intake that matches the aluminum heads in 64. It is a one year only deal. All of the other years had iron heads and iron intakes on the 300 engine. Look in the reference section under engine identification on this site and let us know what it is for sure.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Engine spec.

Hi, checking the 'reference' section a '64 300ci has aluminum heads and intake, which mine has and suggests that it could be the original engine which in turn makes the car more desirable as a 'matching' numbers car. I have seen reference on the internet that the engine # would have matched the last eight characters of the VIN #, but still need some help regarding finding my engine # to prove or disprove that statement? Just really need to know the location and whether it is clearly visible or do I have to strip out all the ancillaries on the front of the engine to get at it

This will show you where to find the production code: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_where.php , and this decode the production code for your year: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_63-75.php.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)