From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crankshaft swap

I can't make up my mind. I thought about it after my last post and tend to agree with you. I have already contacted some vendors regarding the pilot bearing, just waiting to hear back now.

This morning I removed the Flywheel from the 263 IMG_2658.jpg. I also found a vendor on ebay who claims he has the pilot bearing to put the 3 speed manual trans to the 263 engine that previously had the dynaflow tranny. IMG_2657.jpg I can see now that I can not use the 243 flywheel. JR9162, I believe you mentioned you had a 263 flywheel for a manual transmission. If so I am very interested in buying it from you, if you want to sell. Another thing I'm having a problem with is trying to ID the engine block numbers from the 263. All the manuals and reference books I have do not show my block number 1338020-7. Maybe somebody knows where I can find info on this number, its located on the lower rear left (drivers side) of the block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ailimac View Post
    I also found a vendor on ebay who claims he has the pilot bearing to put the 3 speed manual trans to the 263 engine that previously had the dynaflow tranny. I can see now that I can not use the 243 flywheel.
    The pilot bearing is not the problem. It is a standard part and you can buy it from lots of places. The problem is that you CAN'T buy the adaptor to install the bearing in the Dynaflow crank. You need the adaptor because the bore in the crank is larger than the O.D. of the bearing. This is the part you will have to get made at a machine shop.

As for the flywheel, a 263 flywheel looks exactly the same as a 248, except that it has less rust on it. In other words, manual trans cranks don't have the locating pins. You can use the 248 flywheel if you have the holes for the pins put into it by the same machine shop which is going to make your pilot bearing adaptor. Bring the flexplate with you so the shop will know where to put in the holes.

Ray

Raycow is correct. 1st, if the 263 runs I'd install it in your car and adapt the 47 3 speed to it as described. 2nd, if the 263 requires overhauling, you can either adapt the 263 dynaflow crank, or install a 263 3 speed crank. Either way, you'll wind up polishing the journals or grinding/polishing them and installing new bearings. My 263 flywheel looks just like the one you depicted which came off your 248. What you've pictured is the side that mounts to the crank, the clutch disc surface is on the opposite side. Neither the 263/248 flywheel or 263/248 3 speed crank have dowel pins/holes, and neither is threaded. The dynaflow cranks are threaded. If you adapt the 263 dynaflow crank to a 3 speed, you'll need to have additional machining done regarding: bolts to mate the unthreaded flywheel to the threaded crank flange, holes on the flywheel mating to the crank dowel pins, and an adapter to fit the 3 speed pilot bushing in the dynaflow crank. Talk with your machinist regarding these issues. You should be able to enlarge (ream) the bolt holes on the flywheel to match the threaded hole on the dynaflow crank. Threading the flywheel holes to match those on the dynaflow crank is not a viable solution. You'll need unthreaded holes in the flywheel that accept shouldered bolts that screw into the dynaflow crank. Correct terminology for said shoulder is the grip portion of the bolt. It's not recommended you have bolt threads bearing direct contact with unthreaded holes in the flywheel. Using said shouldered bolts I've described, it's recommended the flywheel be drilled to mate to the dowel pins installed in the dynaflow crank. Yes, those dowel pins might be removed from the crank. However, such action will affect the crank's balance. Here's pics of my 263 3 speed crank's flange and matching flywheel...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

I just got back from the Carlisle Fairgrounds for there fall swap meet and found exactly one vendor for vintage Buicks and he didn't even have that much. IMG_2665.jpg Last night I had a chance to take and compare some measurements on the flywheels. The dynaflow center hole is 3 19/32", the center hole on the manual flywheel is 3 11/16" that's a difference of 3/32" around the shoulder of the dynaflow crank. Also if I was to try and drill 2 holes in the manual flywheel for the 2 studs that protrude from the dynaflow crank they would definitely break through to the center opening of flywheel. There's just not enough meat to get a clean hole. I am still interested in finding a 263 manual crank shaft and going with swapping the cranks. I realize I will need to replace bearings, etc but I think, for me, this is the easiest way to go, once I am able to find a crank that is. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ailimac View Post
    I just got back from the Carlisle Fairgrounds for there fall swap meet and found exactly one vendor for vintage Buicks and he didn't even have that much. IMG_2665.jpg Last night I had a chance to take and compare some measurements on the flywheels. The dynaflow center hole is 3 19/32", the center hole on the manual flywheel is 3 11/16" that's a difference of 3/32" around the shoulder of the dynaflow crank. Also if I was to try and drill 2 holes in the manual flywheel for the 2 studs that protrude from the dynaflow crank they would definitely break through to the center opening of flywheel. There's just not enough meat to get a clean hole. I am still interested in finding a 263 manual crank shaft and going with swapping the cranks. I realize I will need to replace bearings, etc but I think, for me, this is the easiest way to go, once I am able to find a crank that is. Pete
    Pete, sent you a PM.
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

I was in the same Situation Years ago with my "new" Dynaflow 263 to my 3 Speed Box.The Bolt pattern from Synchromesh and Dynaflow Crank are different. I had let me maschiened a complete new Flywheel with a new Original Starter RIng (from Bob) shrinked on it, thats all for the smaller Bolt pattern Dynaslow Crank. Now i can look only for the easy to get Automatic Engines/Cranks. I the last Years I have never seen a 3 Speed 263 for offer ..like you told,its very rare ..
    Last edited by Jenz38; 10-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----