Thread: 1951 Roadmaster Restoration - misc questions (n00b thread)

1951 Roadmaster Restoration - misc questions (n00b thread)

207_33718811396_3842_n.jpg

I have a 1951 Roadmaster Series 71 with the Straight 8 and Dynaflow. Since I bought it, the car has sat for a while and hasn't run, although it ran when I parked it. This month I started working on it. For the most part, the car is in good structural condition other than surface rust. I anticipate getting it to run again with minimal work. That said, I have a bunch of random questions for anyone inclined to help:

1. Bumpers need rechroming. If I prep them well, can bumpers with rust pits be rechromed?
    2. Radiator: Anyone know where I can get a new radiator?
    3. Brightwork on doors (just under windows) & around front & back windows: How do I get that stuff off? Brightwork on fenders & quarters is super easy, but I'm scared shitless about the other brightwork

Bonus questions: Has anyone done any conversion to more modern suspension & brakes? Resources? Vendors?

Thanks in advance!

There was a model 71 in 1950, but I can't find any info for a model 71 in 1951. Is there any chance you might have a model 72? If you aren't sure, please post a side view pic.

I did some research on disc brakes for my 1952 Roadmaster, and it seems like Scarebird offers the easiest conversion.
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=57
    I am also looking into getting rid of the lever action shocks, but I wasn't planning to do a complete front end swap.

Sorry, but I can't offer any help on your other questions.

Ray

Looks like ya got a 1951 Roadmaster 72R, like mine...I did a 1952 Roadmaster in 2008 and started my 1951 in 2011 but had to take a 2-year hiatus although I'm back on it now. The brightwork isn't that hard. The weatherstripping needs to come off the doors, also the interior panels so you'll need a set of those special pliers to get the handle-clips off the window and door handle cranks so you can remove the door panels. On the '51 the outer door handle has to come off to remove the lower beltline trim and there's a tool for this also, but you can do it with a rubber mallet and just tap the latch from the inside with the window glass removed. The window "fuzzy" strips need to all come out and make sure you save them so you can cut the replacements to the same lengths. Pretty sure all the 1/4 windows need to come out, at the very least the rear ones do. The window trim is all layers on top of each other so make sure you take plenty of photos during the process and, when you get a piece off, use some masking tape to tape the screws back in their holes because there are many of them that are different lengths. The pot-metal trim pieces for the sweepspear and lower beltline can be removed from the outside but the upper one has to be removed from the inside with the pillar cover off. It's been a while but that's what I remember.
    I would ask a plater about the bumpers. They usually are able to work with some FUBAR bumpers but it would depend on the depth of the pits...most platers would discourage you from doing any prep work like sanding off the chrome because you can embed tiny chrome specks into the metal which can start bubbling a few months after you had the plating done. They use some pretty evil chemicals to strip the bumpers instead.
    As to the radiator...eBay is your new friend!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by krinkov58 View Post
    Looks like ya got a 1951 Roadmaster 72R, like mine..
    Thanks guys. I rechecked the body tag and its a 72R. Sorry.

Took the bumpers off this weekend. There's a fair amount of rust on them. It looks like the previous owner filled a rust hole with a stick welder, which I'm going to cut back out. Chromers (AFAIK) won't rechrome over the stick welding due to the flux on the stick. So I'lll refill with 1/8 steel with OAC.

The car is pretty darn solid overall, which is good news. As an east-coaster, I've had worse cars that were 20 years newer. ;-)